New cats - little being aggressive to large

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

New cats - little being aggressive to large

Post by Chat Noir »

Hi All

I posted recently about my two new arrivals: Darla and Dusty (thought to be 11 y/o sisters but my guess is mother (Dusty) & daughter (Darla). We've had them for a week

They came as a pair and are often very affectionate to each other, cleaning each other, giving head butts and curling up to sleep together.

However over the last few days, since leaving their bonding room, Darla is attacking Dusty without provocation. We think it may be due to frustration and boredom of being indoors (so we've bought them toys and we play with them) but it has us concerned.

Dusty is very caring towards Darla but they are very different, Dusty is boisterous and Darla more reserved so maybe its a clash? We ensure we give them equal attention in case its jealousy-related. Plus they are just so wonderful it's hard not to love them!

This would all make more sense if they weren't so flipping affectionate to each other!

They have at least 2 more weeks of being indoors so any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks all!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cats - little being aggressive to large

Post by Lilith »

I'd say - let them get on with it. Darla is playing naughty kitten and Dusty, if she could be bothered, would soon whop her over the ear and tell her what's what!

It's significant that they curl up together and love each other.

I'll never forget the time I saw my tiny senior Siamese (who could attack my Alsatian and human guests) playing with two of her adult offspring and the half-grown prospective brood queen 'kitten'. They ALL lined up on the bed and divebombed and squashed her! :shock:

Now that girl could have whupped all three with one paw tied behind her back. But did she?

Kittens will be kittens, she said...

All the very best with them; I feel they'll settle once they're settled in :)
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: New cats - little being aggressive to large

Post by Chat Noir »

Thanks Lillith!
Just wandered upstairs to see how they are and the pair of them are sleeping on the same cat bed - a tiny wee bed for 1 kitty!

So maybe I'll just keep an eye out. Can't believe how much I love them and it's only been a week!

We lost our darling Portia recently and although I miss her fiercely, these two bring a lot of joy.

Not looking forward to their 1st vet visit tho. Dusty did a "thank you for adopting me" poop when we were transporting her home in her cat box.

Such is the life of cat ownership ;)