My boy vomits daily

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My boy vomits daily

Post by destinyscheeks »

He is still eating and acting normal but everyday I come across a spot of vomit (which he eats after to try and disguise it).

Before it was every few days but over the past week or so its been once a day.

He eats Bozita and some vitamins on a daily basis but I have also:

- changed his feeding bowl. Now he eats on a saucer instead of a deep ceramic bowl
- ensure he doesnt play right after eating

The only thing I havent done is change his diet but Im about to get him some raw chicken wings to eat and think I will feed him this just in case Im giving him too much of the same food?? I try and mix it up but only on the weekends - so during the week he will have Bozita/vitamins and on the weekends I'll give him tuna.

Has anyone encountered this before? I cant help but be worried because I never see him vomiting - I just notice a wet patch after and he eats it back up :cry:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: My boy vomits daily

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello

Which Bozita does your boy have? I am a great fan of Bozita but I have noticed recently that the reindeer chunks don't suit my boy's tummy, even though it's such fantastic food. Bozita do a sensitive diet version in smaller tetrapacks and this seems to suit him better. I wonder too if he needs the vitamins? If he is eating Bozita he shouldn't really need them.

I must say that Edgar or either of my girls were vomiting daily I would be straight to the vet, so it would be worth popping there with you boy to check things out anyway.

Sarah x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Oh dear, is that the Bozita I gave you Sarah? Wonder what it is about it as mine didn't like it one bit :(

Obviously feel free to pass it on or feed the foxes / strays etc or do whatever you like with it

But back to the original query - daily vomiting isn't normal and I definitely agree with Sarah that a vet visit is on the cards. Chances are it's something simple like a fur ball but you don't want to risk things if it is more serious and cats can go downhill and into organ failure super quick.

let us know how you get on
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

LOL Ria! Edgar was already eating reindeer Bozita before I started on the lovely stash you gave us. On Monday morning he did a VERY runny - virtually liquid - poo and my first guess was that several days on the trot of the Bozita chunks had been too much for his little (big!) tummy. So I for the last four meals he has had the Bozita light. His poos have been better since then and no diarrhoea. He has had Bozita reindeer before so it may be a conincidence, but it is very rich looking food. It's so good though! I will try him again on it once his tummy has settled for a week or so. We are very grateful!

Destiny - do let us know how boy is doing and what the vet says.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Thanks for the replies (and laughs LOL)

Hes been eating Bozita Chicken and Turkey as it has the highest meat content.

But I wanted to change up his diet so he doesnt eat the same thing day in day out (in the wild they would eat a variety of food) so even though I give him the above daily, I got Smilila Trial pack which is mainly fish (tuna/sardines) which he ate for the first time last weekend.

I also got Bozita Chicken (again, it has the highest meat content).

Hes been doing fine so far so far up until I bought the fish tbh so maybe I should give him something else to substitute the Smilia? But in the same breathe, even though he vomits, he eats it back up so I maybe its not down to the food.... :?:

PS: This is the vitamins he also eats daily (to substitute dry food)

Edit: the reason I give him the Vitamins is coz he is FIV+ so any type of food that boosts his immune system is something Im attracted to (and he really loves these too!)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

it could well be that your boy is allergic to fish... so I'd cut that out completely and see if the vomiting stops.

if he's happy with the bozita and doing well then I wouldn't change it ;-)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That makes sense - the change to the fish product could be the culprit. I have read a number of times that although most cats like fish it is not a natural food source for them - i.e in the wild they wouldn't catch fish. I've also tried Edgar on Smilia as well as and Ferringa. He is diabetic so I focus on ultra low carb, high protein foods too. I would like to wean him off dry food altogether but the girls do like to graze on dry and Lou Lou in particular prefers it to most wet food. Also, the vet said that he needs access to dry food if his blood sugar gets low whilst we are out.

Anyway, keep us posted on your gorgeous fella.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

SarahT1 [PLLE] wrote: i.e in the wild they wouldn't catch fish.
:lol: have you tried telling Monty that? Admittedly he never ever ate what he caught but at one point he nearly decimated the pond population.

I'll never forget the day my neighbour called me to that there was a fish flapping about on the front lawn - I quickly ran out and found this poor gasping fish so grabbed it, ran through the house to get to my back garden and put it back where it belonged. Thankfully it survived :D
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

@ meriad
:lol:
Glad to hear you saved the fish!!!!
You may of just hit the nail on the head re fish allergy. I recall when he first ate the fish, he was gasping like he couldnt breath. I will lay off the fish and see if that improves but today he has not vomited once :D

@SarahT1 [PLLE]
I changed his diet drastically - CP was feeding him Purina biscuits dry and Felix wet but from the foundings from my research suggest that dry food is full of carbs and therefore harder for their bellies to digest. Even though King Tobias Warrior loves the Vit bits, Im hesitant to give him dry as a second meal. But then again I guess a little bit of bad food isnt so bad if I give it to him every so often - kinda like a treat LOL. I was intending on weaning him into Bozita food but he took to it very easily and quickly - I kinda had the feeling he would anyways (I smelt it and even I was tempted to eat it :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Thank you so much for your responses and no doubt I will keep you up to date.

Cheers!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Fish can be a bad one. In my experience certain cereals and fish can be two of the worst. I adopted a pair of elderly cats from CP about 10 years ago who couldn't have cereal and they both were put on Purina without cereal, just rice. If I gave them other cat foods as a treat they had diarrhoea. I also adopted another elderly cat and he would just vomit after eating some foods so I took note and it was always the ones with fish, the higher the percentage of fish the worse he was and he would be sick immediately after eating it. Treats can be another problem, something within them. I am not sure what, but my current resident cat is not a sickly cat and never sick unless I give her Webbox sticks, no sooner has she eaten one it's back up so she can't have those. I have also fostered cats and one of those was never sick unless I gave him Dreamies, so it's a case of finding out what.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Janey wrote:Fish can be a bad one. In my experience certain cereals and fish can be two of the worst. I adopted a pair of elderly cats from CP about 10 years ago who couldn't have cereal and they both were put on Purina without cereal, just rice. If I gave them other cat foods as a treat they had diarrhoea. I also adopted another elderly cat and he would just vomit after eating some foods so I took note and it was always the ones with fish, the higher the percentage of fish the worse he was and he would be sick immediately after eating it. Treats can be another problem, something within them. I am not sure what, but my current resident cat is not a sickly cat and never sick unless I give her Webbox sticks, no sooner has she eaten one it's back up so she can't have those. I have also fostered cats and one of those was never sick unless I gave him Dreamies, so it's a case of finding out what.
Oh wow. The Smilia fish has about 90% content too :shock:

On a side note, is it bad when a cat has diarrhoea? When I first rehomed less then a month ago, I was using non clumping litter and he has diarrhoea, but I changed his litter from non clumping to clumping so now I cant really tell if he has diarrhoea or not....
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

destinyscheeks wrote:On a side note, is it bad when a cat has diarrhoea? When I first rehomed less then a month ago, I was using non clumping litter and he has diarrhoea, but I changed his litter from non clumping to clumping so now I cant really tell if he has diarrhoea or not....
It's definitely not normal for a cat to have constant diarrhoea, no.... the occasional one or two because of something they've eaten is fine but if it's ongoing then there is a digestive issue that needs looking into. What litter are you using - even if it's clumping you'd be able to tell if he's got very runny poo's - the clumps would be a darker colour and smell I'd have thought?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi there - even with the clumping litter a normal motion is obvious; you'll be scooping out perfectly formed 'sausages' (I don't think the mods would care for my preferred choice of word lol) instead of a lump similar to a wee clump but darker and smellier as Meriad says.

Hope Tobias is back to normal soon, all the best :)
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Thanks guys.

Just cleaned out his tray and I can see sausages :lol: :lol: :lol:

Btw, thank you for all your useful tips Lileth (in my other posts). :mrgreen:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

You're welcome - and congrats on the 'sausages' :D
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Just thought Id update you guys - KTW hasnt vomited once since I stopped feeding him fish :D

Im going to leave a review on the product warning others too. Thank you so much guys!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

destinyscheeks wrote:Just thought Id update you guys - KTW hasnt vomited once since I stopped feeding him fish :D

Im going to leave a review on the product warning others too. Thank you so much guys!
I am so glad you seem to have found out what the cause is yup fish can be a baddie. Although I'm sure you know it's not likely to be a particular brand just down to the fish within the food and that could be any.

Cuddles to KTW, he must feel so much better too :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Great news! Give King Tobias Warrior (Cool name - just had to write it out in full!) a big kiss from me.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Glad you got to the bottom of it, one of my oldies couldn't eat fish - it got worse the older she got. Any fish - sardines, tuna, fish flavoured cat food, the lot. No idea why, and I had three generations of the same family and all the rest were fine!