Oh for a reliable website! - cat weight question

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Oh for a reliable website! - cat weight question

Post by exlibris »

Hi guys,
I'm concerned about my fuss-pot cat Twitch. She's being very fussy about eating. I would be concerned that it was a medical thing, but it could just be her being super annoying. Basically both my cats are okay with Felix Senior (Twitch is 14) and they are treated occasionally with Sheba or tuna in springwater. Now Twitch will only eat a bit of Felix, Sheba or tuna, so this would be a big concern except for the fact that she happily chows down on chicken pieces and those Gourmet tins. So, has she just gone super fussy?
So, I've managed to weigh the squiggly so-and-so, clocking in at about 3.5kg. I've tried to find a website that will give me some inclination as to if this is good/bad or slightly on the low side. I found petMD's weight calculator extremely frustrating as it wouldn't let me go any further without writing in a breed....apparently shorthair wouldn't cut it, I even tried Manx (which she isn't) and it wouldn't recognise it as a breed. Sooooo frustrating! It's a real shame as it looked like a good calculator. Could anyone recommend a better calculator or website? (Or tell me I'm a twit because I haven' t used the petMD calculator correctly).
Thanks everyone!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Oh for a reliable website! - cat weight question

Post by Lilith »

Hi, someone posted a good weight guide on here a while back, based on the cat's 'profile' as you look down at it - Molly, my youngest 'skinny' is 'ideal' - my two plump oldies not quite so lol. I'll try to scratch round and see if I can resurrect it but if the poster who posted it can remember?

However, worst case scenario, if your girl is going off her food, it might be a good idea to get her checked out by the vet; it might be summat, it might be nowt but still, personally, I'd just make sure (and I do hope it is nowt!)

All the very best! :)
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

Thanks Lilith, that will be really helpful!
I intend to take her to the vets if the problem persists. Part of the reason I haven't so far is she is still eating, plus last time I took her to the vets with sometime I was told she was so agile and confident that she was healthy. So I'm in that awful situation where you're trying to gage if she has a vet-worthy problem or if I'm turning into an over protective owner.
I'm going to keep monitoring her weight to make sure she's okay.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

This is probably the chart?

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/213862/ideal-weight-for-cat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Ahh that's the one - thanks Crewella! :D

Hi Exlibris, I know your dilemma - I'm not a great one for running to the vet, but the times I've taken a cat and said, 'well, I hope I'm not making a fuss about nothing, no well I DO hope I'm making a fuss about nothing!'

They keep us guessing, the awkward little gits, don't they! Cats I mean, not vets lol.

All the very best with your girl - if she's still eating well that's all to the good - they can get a bit choosy in their old age, as can we all, fusses to her :)
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

Lilith wrote:Ahh that's the one - thanks Crewella! :D

Hi Exlibris, I know your dilemma - I'm not a great one for running to the vet, but the times I've taken a cat and said, 'well, I hope I'm not making a fuss about nothing, no well I DO hope I'm making a fuss about nothing!'

They keep us guessing, the awkward little gits, don't they! Cats I mean, not vets lol.

All the very best with your girl - if she's still eating well that's all to the good - they can get a bit choosy in their old age, as can we all, fusses to her :)
Thanks to both of you!
I think she's okay, looking at the pics. It's helpful to know they get choosier in their old age - but if she changes are mind about the Gourmet I'll have to start buying caviar next!