Low white cell count

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Low white cell count

Post by lilynmitz »

Oooh, poor things. Hope the ABs start working soon. Would it be possible to isolate them from the other two?
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jan1957 »

Just seen all your threads.....like Sarah I'm Sending healing vibes and love to Tips for a speedy recovery and to Henry for continued good health. What a worry for you, I can only imagine how you're feeling. We'd take their pain in an instant. Seems lime you've done all the right things and hope Tips heals quickly. Gentle fusses from Eric and Georgie xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh bless Henry & Tips.

How difficult for you. Fingers and paws crossed for a continued improvement with Henry & a speedy recovery for Tips.

X
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Glad Henry is brighter. The ABs can be a pain! Edgar has started a new course today and has flatly refused it. He will take the steroids in pâté but he dissed out the AB. Kisses to all your babies. X
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Just thinking about your two poorly babies. Hope that Henry has continued to improve and that Tips has recovered from her vet visit earlier.

Some antibiotics have a particularly unpleasant taste. Apparently Baytril is one that is quite horrible. Reason I know this is because a vet once told me that it tastes disgusting. No idea how he knew :roll:

Sending fusses to both of them xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hi everyone

Quick update.

Henry continues to improve :)

He's also as good. As gold taking his meds.

Tips is now my main concern. She hasn't had anything to eat or drink again :(

If she gets dehydrated she too will end up hospitalised :(

Do you think I should give her water with a syringe? I discussed pureeing some food and syringe feeding her but hubby thinks that she'll probably just sick it back.

She is also proving to be very challenging to pill. We were due to give her some antacid last night, but she totally refused to swallow it. She had AB injection yesterday but pills start today. Going to have a go in a bit but I don't think she'll take it easily. I've never known such a difficult cat to pill.

We asked the vet about isolating the other two, but she said depending on exactly what the virus is, they've possibly already had exposure. Vet felt that on balance it was better to try to keep things as normal as possible.
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jan1957 »

I expect you've probably tried this before but can you crush the pill? I've had to give Georgie Piriton every day and have to crush it with the back of a spoon and then put some Thrive treats in my hand with the pill-powder. So far, so good.
And to get Tips to drink, I think you're right to try water with a syringe. Or maybe to get her to lick some water from the palm of your hand?
Hope today is a better one for you all xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I would try and get some water into Tips by syringe if you can, just a few squirts throughout the day should help enormously. It might be too much trying to get the food in as well but perhaps just try a little, when I asked the vet which was more important of the two she said water if you can't get both in. Poor girl, pleased to hear Henry has perked up.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Poor Tips. I would resort to the emergency weekend vet if she hasn't taken her AB by end of the day. Sometimes they just won't take them in food if the taste is strong. Edgar won't touch the latest ones for his gums. I will be ringing the vet on Tuesday admitting defeat but at least his are experimental not crucial whereas Tips needs hers now.

Fusses and hugs to you all. Xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Managed to get her AB down with a drop of water.

How much water should we try to give her? I am not sure how much they need TBH. We just give them bowls of water plus what they get from food.

I have honestly never known such a difficult cat to pill. Luna was never as challenging as this even with chemo pills. The only one of ours who will take pills crushed in food is Grey. The others we can normally get down the hatch fairly easily!

We are hoping for her that we don't have to take her in. It would be doubly frightening given that she is blind :(
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

So pleased to hear Henry is doing better, it must give you hope for Tips. But sorry to hear you're having such a tough time with her. Have you tried adding water to her food? Not sure what her !normal" water consumption should be, as it varies with each cat, but the more the better really.

If she does have to go in to the vets for a short stay, don't worry too much about her blindness. I had to do this with Mitz, and it worried me sick, but the vets gave him extra special attention to help him settle in, and I made sure they understood how to handle him so he felt as relaxed as possible, and he coped really well.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

It was a few years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy but I think the vet said 50ml during the course of the day.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hi.

Dora hates mashed up tablets and always knows if I've put them in her food but I can always get away with hiding them in one of the stick treats you can buy. I literally push the pill into the broken off piece of treat and mould the treat around the pill so its nicely hidden and slightly warmed up from my fingers then just hand it to Dora without making a fuss.... She sees straight through any over dramatic behaviour!

I always watch to make sure the pill doesn't get spat out but I admit that's rare. Maybe even warm the stick treat up for a couple of seconds in the microwave to make the smell more potent & alluring? I've never tried this but it might help? I assume you've tried lick-e-lix on your fingers with the AB disguised &/or mixed in once mashed? How about a little warmed up tuna?

Fingers & paws crossed. Poor furbabes. I hope Henry continues to get better & Tips manages to drink a little from a syringe. I agree with Sarah though, I think a call to the vets this evening if no ABs have been consumed.

Keep us posted x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Val, you must be so worried. Really feel for you.

Well done with getting Tips to take the AB. I do the same as Shelly does with Dora to get tablets down Fluffy. But little Tips would have to feel like eating the treat in the first place though. Poor girl.

I hope you manage to get some water into her.

Anna's experience with Mitz at the vet is a reassurance. You will know if it gets to the stage where Tips has to go.

So glad Henry seems to be recovering. That's a glimmer of hope.

Thinking of you xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hi everyone

Tips was sick shortly after she had her pill and water.

We rang the vet, and she has now been admitted :(

Although she is not yet clinically dehydrated, we all felt that given she has not eaten, kept food or medicine down it it the best course of sction.

Also seeing the improvement with Henry it's the best way forward and we will hopefully see a huge improvement with her too.

Thanks for your contained support

Xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Hope Tips is ok, such a worry when they're poorly. All paws crossed for your girl x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Val. We're all going through this with you.

You absolutely made the right decision. It is going to be such an anxious time but you couldn't risk waiting any longer. Well done for being so brave.

Tips has got a good chance of recovering as well as Henry did after his hospital stay.

She will get the best treatment and will be given everything that she needs to strengthen her up and help her fight this virus.

Sending hugs to you. Update us when you can xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

We would have all done the same Val although it's hard to leave them there. I wish we could stay over with them as you can with human children in hospital! As Carol says, we are all going through this with you and know how you feel. Kisses to every one of your furries especially beautiful Tips. Keep us posted. We are looking for news all the time. Pepsi tried to stalk a blue **** this morning. At 17 and not having hunted for over two years the mental picture of that might make you smile! Xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Oh Val. I do feel for you x

It's so difficult isn't it. I am a mess every time I take Dora to the vets, even though I tell myself that if I managed the visit better she would pick up on my positive vibes rather than anxious ones!

I definitely think you've done what's right for Tips. Having seen how Henry progressed after his visit it makes sense that she will be the same.

Keep us posted. Its small consolation but we really are all there with you/for you x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It's bad enough when one is poorly, but truly rotten when you have two to worry about. Sending positive vibes for both, and all paws here crossed. (((hugs)))
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Thanks everyone. I can't begin to say how important your support is.

It's so important having a place to express concerns with friends who understand.

Well, Tips is "comfortable". I've never understood that with people in hospital, but a cat, especially a blind one must be terrified.

She has never spent a night away from home since we brought her, her mum Luna, Henry and her sister Anna home when the kittens were 6 weeks old. This is all she has ever known.

Today has made me realise how in tune we are for her. A lot of things around the house and in the garden are like they are to keep her happy and safe. We instinctively put things out of the way for her.

I know we are doing the right thing. Seeing the continued improvement with Henry tells me that. He was very quiet after dinner tonight but has perked up a but now.

I was making the bed earlier, and he decided to explore, and got himself caught up inside the duvet cover. It was quite funny!

It's going to be long 12 hours until we get another update :(

Thanks again everyone

Val xxx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Thinking of you Val, and your precious ones. Poor little Tips - if it's any consolation the fact that she is not at all well will probably mean she's not as 'aware' of the strangeness of her surroundings as she would be, and once she starts feeling better she can come home where she belongs.

It's going to be a long night for you but she's in the best place. So glad Henry is on the mend x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Darling Tips is in the best place, Val. I know it sounds a cliche, but she really is. Your girl be do happy to hear and smell you tomorrow. You and OH are wonderful fur parents to your lovely family and they love you.

Hugs to you and headbutts from my gang. Pepsi is marking the phone with her cheeks to send greetings to her sister Tips. So glad Henry is on the mend and hope the babies are staying well. Xx
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jan1957 »

I can't say anything better than Jackie and Sarah.....just that me, Eric and Georgie are thinking of you, sending Tips lots and lots of healing love through the airwaves and so pleased Henry is recovering. Hoping Tips will recover as quickly.
Xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Any news on Tips this morning?
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Tips is still not showing any signs of eating. Vet is saying that it is likely she'll be kept in overnight again. :(

Poor baby :(

Xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Val. What a worry. You must be absolutely desperate to get her home.

The only thing I can think of to help reassure you is that Tips is possibly at an earlier stage of the virus than Henry was at when he was admitted. I remember you saying that Henry had been off colour for some time. Whereas Tips has possibly only just started with this virus and maybe isn't at the stage of feeling like eating. Will they force feed her if need be?

Really am thinking of you. Sending big hug xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Poor Tips and poor you, Val. Hoping for better news tonight. Lots of love to the little girl. X
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Unfortunately Tips did not perk up enough today to be discharged :(

Hopefully another 12 hours will see her turn a corner and come home.

You might be right Carol about Henry. We remarked a while ago about him being sick and a bit quiet.

Squeak and Grey thankfully are OK. Do you recon that their exposure to god knows what on the farm still gives them some residual resistance?

Fingers crossed for my little girl. I still think of her as almost a kitten because she is the smallest and obviously needs extra attention :(

Xxx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I am sorry for your little girl, Val. You must feel so miserable. Every good wish for tomorrow for her. Xx