To vaccinate or not?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

To vaccinate or not?

Post by Joanne_ »

Ted is due his yearly flu jab, he has had it once or twice before and has seemed okay after. However I feel really hesitant about it this time around mainly because I noticed when my other seemingly healthy cats had theirs that they seemed to always get issues with sneezing, infected eyes, typical flu symptoms really:\ and then last year when Jimmy had his (he was 100% healthy the day he got it) he suddenly developed kidney failure the next day which resulted in his death a few months after:( I just feel really torn... Ted is partly an outdoor cat and there are other cats near by so I would not want him getting sick from cat flu but then I hate thinking that a 'preventative' jab could make him develop any complications or worse death.

What is everyone's experience with the jab?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: To vaccinate or not?

Post by lilynmitz »

That's a tough one given your experiences, and I can't say whether they were related to the jab or not. I'd suggest you talk it through carefully with your vet.

But having nearly lost our Siamese to cat flu (long ago, in the days when boarding kennels didn't insist on vaccination - we only just got home in time - the kennels were riddled with it), and with my lovely Mo having survived two bouts of it as a kitten in the rescue centre before they could vaccinate him and rehome him, with my lot I'd prefer to vaccinate. I've only ever seen adverse results once, when Mitz was "under the weather" for a few days afterwards.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It's funny you should post this today. I have just got the reminder for Bobby's booster vacs. and I'm wondering the same thing myself.

I always made sure mine get there first vaccinations, but after doing some research on human vaccines and the sxxx they contain, I am not so sure any more. It is especially worrying because of Bob's FIV status. You want to do the best for them - but just what is that?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I must admit that I vaccinate older cats less and less often - anually up to double figures and then every 2 years, then and so on. How old is Ted (I'm sorry I don't remember)?

Having said that, I've often had a few sniffles and an off day after a jab but never anything worse.
HannahL
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by HannahL »

I think I would consider where you live too - fairly rural and I probably wouldn't worry too much about vaccinations. But if an area where potential for lots of contact with other cats then I think I would vaccinate. A difficult situation though! :(
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

lilynmitz wrote:That's a tough one given your experiences, and I can't say whether they were related to the jab or not. I'd suggest you talk it through carefully with your vet.

But having nearly lost our Siamese to cat flu (long ago, in the days when boarding kennels didn't insist on vaccination - we only just got home in time - the kennels were riddled with it), and with my lovely Mo having survived two bouts of it as a kitten in the rescue centre before they could vaccinate him and rehome him, with my lot I'd prefer to vaccinate. I've only ever seen adverse results once, when Mitz was "under the weather" for a few days afterwards.
It really is tough! If I had been in your situation I would lean towards vaccinating too.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

bobbys girl wrote:It's funny you should post this today. I have just got the reminder for Bobby's booster vacs. and I'm wondering the same thing myself.

I always made sure mine get there first vaccinations, but after doing some research on human vaccines and the sxxx they contain, I am not so sure any more. It is especially worrying because of Bob's FIV status. You want to do the best for them - but just what is that?
Human vaccines scare me also LOL! It really is scary the more you read into things.
I just remember we never vaccinated any of our cats until the last few years but that was when problems started:\ First time Jimmy got his, he just had a year full of non stop flu symptoms and was on and off medication every few months, then gets his 2nd flu jab and that was that. My cat Erik for the first year would develop sneezing on and off through the year but it never fully developed further, but on his 2nd year of jabs he was generally off it for days which was sad to see and such a worry. Ted though has generally been okay apart from the odd sneezing as well. Then our newest at henry who had his flu jab before we adopted him also now and then gets flare ups of sneezing:\ I just feel it is odd that a jab that is meant to protect cats from flu etc seems to present flu like symptoms in them:\

if anyone has any good links for information that would be helpful.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Crewella wrote:I must admit that I vaccinate older cats less and less often - anually up to double figures and then every 2 years, then and so on. How old is Ted (I'm sorry I don't remember)?

Having said that, I've often had a few sniffles and an off day after a jab but never anything worse.
Ted is 4 and is as far as I am aware in good health apart from some extra belly podge LOL
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

HannahL wrote:I think I would consider where you live too - fairly rural and I probably wouldn't worry too much about vaccinations. But if an area where potential for lots of contact with other cats then I think I would vaccinate. A difficult situation though! :(
I would say there are another 4 near by that he has contact with (usually fighting lol), although I am sure one is girlfriend as he often gets a bit over friendly with her;)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

It is a difficult one and definitely something you should speak to your vet about.

But two things to consider are:
- your pet insurance. Check with them if they still provide cover if you don't vaccinate annually; and
- what do you do when you go on holidays? Catteries usually insist on proof of annual vaccinations.
Joanne_ wrote: I would say there are another 4 near by that he has contact with (usually fighting lol), although I am sure one is girlfriend as he often gets a bit over friendly with her;)
But this would definitely convince me to vaccinate, esp if he's the type of cats to face up to a fight vs run away. I take it he is neutered?

What you could check with your vet is to have separate vaccinations vs the all in one? May be more expensive and may need to be specially ordered but it's worth asking
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by suelily »

My 2 cats r house cats and I just got Dexy my 8 yr old his booster last week and Lily my new cat had her first of 2. Her 2nd one is due 2nd nov. I have sat 4 days saying will I wont I because they don't go out and when I go on holiday my mum or neighbour look after them. So I feel I am wasting my money. Dexy was very tired after his and was hiding all day but next day he started chasingLiliy around so back to normal.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

That's a good point re the insurance. If they are insured and you said they were vacc'd when you signed up, it may invalidate the insurance if they're not. (Most insurance companies are always on the lookout for a reason not to pay up.)

On the other hand, if you admit they're not vacc'd when getting a quote, they will hike up the premium, decline to quote at all, or just exclude any conditions that might arise from lack of vacc.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

suelily wrote:My 2 cats r house cats and I just got Dexy my 8 yr old his booster last week and Lily my new cat had her first of 2. Her 2nd one is due 2nd nov. I have sat 4 days saying will I wont I because they don't go out and when I go on holiday my mum or neighbour look after them. So I feel I am wasting my money. Dexy was very tired after his and was hiding all day but next day he started chasingLiliy around so back to normal.
You may or may not decide to carry on with the annual boosters, but I definitely would go back for the 2nd jab 2-3 weeks after the first. It's important to complete that first vaccination cycle.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by suelily »

Yes I will get her 2nd vaccination.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Our insurance does say if they get anything a vaccine would prevent and they have not had it then they will not pay.

I am still so undecided. I just keep putting it off:\ I just would hate to think I am taking my perfectly healthy cat for a vaccine that is meant to protect him and he gets something bad from the vaccine.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

If it helps, I do think you've been unlucky - since I started fostering I have taken several cats in for their vaccinations as it's part of our rehoming pledge, and I've not seen a single problem other than an off day just after or a slight bump on the back of the neck. That doeasn't mean they don't happen, of course, but including my own that must be about 25 cats.