7 month old cat sometimes sick after food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

7 month old cat sometimes sick after food

Post by emmab »

I am still at a loss as to how many times a day I should feed Gémo. She is 7 months old now. I am still giving her 4 small meals a day, (roughly a 1/4 of a yoghurt pot per meal), but occasionally....once every few days she may be sick a night, which is watery. However this evening she has been sick after her meal, and the same at lunchtime.
She goes mad when it is feeding time, almost as though she has never been fed. She is very happy, and is now storming around the garden with her brother, and holds good weight andlooks extremely fit and well! She does try to eat her brothers food too, although I try to control this.
They are both on RC Neutered dried food. They love it, but not really sure how I should be feeding her. Chamaille should be OK on 2 meals a day now as he is a year old. Gémo seems to like little and often. I just want to make sure I am feeding her right. I have seen her munching grass quite often and does tend to eat bits and pieces in the garden. Is it still early days for her digestive system? Gémo also still suckles herself as she was weaned off her mum too early due to going stray. I seem to remember our other two cats had problems with the runs when they were kittens due to being weaned off their mum too early.After a while it did settle down.
Do I just persist with this one, and maybe reduce the portion size a little?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: 7 month old cat sometimes sick after food

Post by greenkitty »

I would starting weaning her down to two meals a day now. Has she been wormed recently? I'd also keep a food diary to see if it's a particular food she's sick after eating.
joolie75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolie75 »

Hi
Our Moogle suffers from this. He had an upset tummy once and has never been the same since.
I found they key being small portions. Lots of small portions. This works for us, as I work from home quite often, so can manage it. If I have to to go out for the day, I put down a slightly bigger amount, but by no means the volumes it used to be. Average is a teaspoon (heaped).

Problem is that Moogle will eat everything in the bowl, until he explodes (or sicks it up, as the case is).

You might find a little tummy bug (or worms) has caused a little imbalance and it needs some nurturing back to normal. I have, over time, increased the amount for Moogs. But eventually we always reach the tipping point and he barffs uncerimonialy on the carpet. So, we go back down and try again....my husband made him sick the other morning :D But before that, it was almost 3 months since the last time.....so I think we are just about there now with the perfect portion size!

He has dry to graze on during the day if we are both out....so he's not starving when we get home - altho you'd think he was, the way he acts when i walk in the door! :lol:
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thank you. I have reduced her portions slightly. She is always the last to leave the food bowl. I wormed her 7 weeks ago. I use Profender on the back of the neck, as I cannot give them tablets very easily unlike the other cats.I am worried that if I give her smaller portions, 2 meals a day isn't enough. I too think she will eat and eat. I have just put lunch down for them both. Neither of them went mad, but Gémo is sitting there until she finishes it so sometimes I take the dish away.