Is this normal behaviour? 1 year old cat sucks blanket

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gaks
New Cat Chatter

Is this normal behaviour? 1 year old cat sucks blanket

Post by gaks »

I've recorded this video today. Is this normal behaviour? Should I do anything about it? I have this kitty since 2 weeks. My other 5 years old cat never did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Ac_HT2Q_E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Is this normal behaviour? 1 year old cat sucks blanket

Post by geckodiva »

It is usually a sign that the cat has been removed from its mother and / or weaned too early.

Saying that my cat Tat exhibited this behaviour for a number of years and she was weaned at the same time as her 5 siblings who did not suckle on their bedding. She eventually stopped doing it.

As long as your cat is otherwise happy and healthy I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful that the cat isn't swallowing fluff from the blanket.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

How lovely - the little paws working to get the milk coming, and apparently the fabric smells a bit like the mother's milk when sucked - or so I've read. I have a two year old cat who came to me aged 4 months. After being with us 4 months she became very bonded to me, and one night decided I was her mother and came and kneaded and suckled on my clothing in bed, then curled up next to me. I now wear a fleecy top in bed for the purpose - and I love having my 'baby' come for what we call 'milkies' every night. During the day she is a vibrant, confident little explorer and too good a hunter, so it's not that she 'hasn't grown up'.

I would think your cat is doing this because he or she feels comfortable and happy - many cats do the kneading on their bedding without the full suckling. I have four cats now - only the one does the suckling, one kneads his bedding when he gets into his basket for the night, one occasionally kneads on a lap or the bed, and the fourth has never done it... They're all different.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Max is now 13 and has done this since he was a kitten. His mother was killed before he was weaned so he was hand reared which I guess is where it comes from. When he starts he goes off into a trans like state before finally settling down to sleep. When I was tiny I can remember sucking the blanket too before going to sleep :lol: