Rescue kit staying out all night.....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobster38
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Rescue kit staying out all night.....

Post by bobster38 »

Hi
I guess I'm posting this for cat owners general opinion. Fanta, one of my rescue cats stays out all the time. He's a rescue cat that I've had since he was a kitten. Him and his sister came to me mid 2012. Early this year his sister sadly passed away. When I adopted them the foster parents and shelter said he'd never be a kit to hold.... born under a patio and had the end of his tail bitten off. I spent a lot of time with him and it seemed we were getting somewhere. It took three months eventually, after a lot of work, he would plop down and sleep on my belly. After his sister died he was attacked in the house by a neighbouts cat and since then has become more of an outside cat. He still turns up for his food and occasionally will come in for a cuddle. The question I'm asking is should I go with my instincts and allow him to do what he likes, stay out all night (even though I worry) or should I keep him in for a while and see what happens. The problem is doubled as at the moment I have a foster cat and they are both kind of wary about each other.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Rescue kit staying out all night.....

Post by Crewella »

Personally, I like to lock mine in at night as it's safer for the cat and also for the local wildlife! Most of mine are ex-strays, but have adjusted well to being able to come and go all day and then being shut in at night - I feed them later now and call them in for dinner then lock up behind them. If your boy has not been used to spending much time indoors, it might help to introduce 'lock in' gradually, though, just to get him used to the concept. Good luck! :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with Crewella, I prefer to keep mine in at night for the same reasons. It also means I'm not worrying about them, as night is when they are most likely to get into fights or hit by cars etc.

But I also feel part of his disassociation with your home may be due to the fight with the intruding cat, and he needs to learn that this is his safe space again. So I'd suggest being a bit firmer about keeping him in when he comes home to eat, spending some quiet time with him giving him quality one to one attention, petting him, talking to him and playing with him, to give him a reason to be there. This will also improve his bond with you, so he feels less inclined to wander. This may mean shutting him in when he thinks he wants to go out, and it will confuse him (or even annoy him) for a while, but tough it out and distract him with lots of love, it will be worth it.
bobster38
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bobster38 »

Thanks for your advice. Day 4 of Fanta being in. Theres been a couple of hissy fits but nothing drastic. As least we'll get through Bonfire night. Been to Pets at home today to get some new toys and catnip and see if we can start to integrate play time a little at a time between them all. Also decided to have open house, ie all doors open. The foster cat isn't aggresive but hates to be surprised or have a cat come too close. My own girl rescue cat is as passive as anything but thinks its funny to jump out from hiding spots in front of him... little tinker. Fanta, my boy rescue cat whos the subject of the post, is a little sad at not going out but its for the best, well for a week or two until he realizes the foster cat isn't a threat....
Last edited by bobster38 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Well done, keep persevering.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That sounds like great progress. I sympathise, as I'm settling in a newbie at the moment myself and also having to lock everybody in because of the fireworks, so they are all having to find a way to live with one another rather than just avoid the issue and run for the garden. Like you, I've had the odd hissy fit but nothing to worry about - sometimes you do just have to overrule them and lay down the law!

Is that the lovely Fanta in your avatar pic?