Stray walked into our home

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Harrygood45
New Cat Chatter

Stray walked into our home

Post by Harrygood45 »

Hi. I have had a weird day, a cat walked into my home while my sister was in the front garden and came in looking for love, food and a place to sleep. We went to lots of doors trying to find out if anyone knew who's cat it was as we knew it wasn't a cat we had seen but from what all the locals say it was a stray since the start of September and has been going from door to door each night looking for a place to stay. It is a good cat and likes to be stroked and be cuddled and when he came in he didn't pee everywhere like most male stray cats. He has eaten but I do not know how to let him go to the toilet because he came in late at night and it is almost 5 am now. I need suggestions on how to take him to the toilet without making him feel like he has been kicked out and make sure he doesn't run away.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Stray walked into our home

Post by lilynmitz »

HI and welcome to CatChat! It sounds like you've rather taken a shine to this puss, and would like him to stay. If that's the case, put some notices around the neighbourhood, including your local newsagent, local vets etc, to find out if he has a loving owner somewhere and they've got separated. You could also try putting a paper collar on him with your contact details. If there's no result, then I would say you can take him in with a clear conscience :-)

As to the toilet issue, if he seems happy with you, then you could simply let him out and let him vote with his feet. If he's getting fed and loved, he'll be back! You could always go out with him, perhaps even dig a bit of your garden over for him (as most gardeners know to their cost, cats love a freshly dug flower bed/vegetable plot!), although I can't guarantee he'll use it :-)

Meanwhile you could also pop out and get him a litter tray - deep ones (or covered) are best, with a soft grainy clumping litter. I find Cats Best is very good at keeping down smells and needs only scooping out the soiled bit and a quick wipe down with water and washing up liquid in the soiled area, with a full clean out every few weeks.

Good luck with this fella, it sounds like you may have a lovely future together!
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Stray walked into our home

Post by elastu »

So sad that the little one has been wondering and no one did anything until you opened your heart. Perhaps you could take the little one to the vets and ask them to check for a chip. If not the previous post has given sound advice. If you can offer the little one a home that is wonderful, if not perhaps you could ring your local Cats Protection and any other no kill rescues and ask they place the little one on their list of cats waiting to come in. Thank you for caring.