What litter do you use?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
KittyKiernan
Frequent Cat Chatter

What litter do you use?

Post by KittyKiernan »

Hello everyone,

So - it looks like I may have failed as a fosterer... as my little charge Ted is almost certainly staying with me permanently :D . I've got to tie up the red tape with the rescue, but they've said they'd be very glad for me to keep him, as he's happy with me and I seem to be keeping his allergy issues under control.

After such a horrible start to life for him, he seems to have bonded with me, and I can't really bear to hand him over to someone else who might not be so soppy about him. I'm sure fellow 'failed fosterers' will get what I mean!

Anyway, I'm doing a bit of research into which litter to use for him long-term. I know for 'itchy' cats, pine can sometimes be an issue, so I'm tempted to stick to clay, clumping litter instead.

I know MarkB created a wonderfully helpful thread on litter choices on the old forum - but of course, at that stage I didn't actually have a cat, and now I can't find it!

So, any pointers on what other cat owners use (and why) would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently quite keen on Catsan clumping litter (the 'normal', not the Hygiene version) but any other feedback would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: What litter do you use?

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Congratulations on your failed fostering! Dear Ted will be so pleased to stay!

Our three Furbabes are all happy to use Sainsbury's clumping clay litter. It's just over £2 a bag and one lasts us about 10 days over 4 trays.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

if you use Zooplus, you'll find a wide choice of litters there - I find disposal more of an issue than efficiency - I personally like Golden Grey, which I burn on the stove, but I'm also gradually introducing Applaws Nature's Calling, as I would like to use a litter I can burn in the garden incinerator - it smells rather odd and the cats have been slow to accept it, but now seem to prefer it to the GG if anything
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I really like this one from Zooplus: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... sic/209251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; very fine, clumps really and doesn't smell.

But I can't really use it as most of my cats, esp Ava, is long haired and it sticks to their trousers when they squat low and then it's a pain to get off or I worry that they will lick it off and ingest.

I use a wood clumping one now but realise that's not much use to you.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... tAodehoAPA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is an really good product as well; and with only one cat is probably more affordable. It's sand and clumps well and good with odour

Again though only available to buy online
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

I prefer Wood Pellet litter as that lasts a long way and plusit covers odurs brilliantly! It depends though which your cat prefers. Maybe you could try different types to see which suits your cat best. And congrats on adopting Ted.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I used to use wood pellet but Sophie developed a hate for the smell the pine releases and it was deposits in the bath or shower until I discovered Sanicat Oxygen Power Clean Non-clumping Cat Litter. It's magic. We have it in all 4 trays now, and you lift out the hard stuff, tip it away from a wee and then lift the main bulk with a spatula and stir the rest in - and it magically disappears! The moisture absorbance is AMAZING and it does not smell at all. I'm converted and it lasts fabulously as all you have to do is stir a bit more in as it depletes.

Magic stuff and Sophie even rolls in it with joy when it's clean :-) No more soggy litter trays (Lara pees for England) and happy cats all round - even Mr Socks likes it!
Attachments
Sanicat Oxygen.jpg
Sanicat Oxygen.jpg (9.2 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
KittyKiernan
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyKiernan »

Thanks so much for the helpful replies everyone!

Sammy is short-haired but has rather fluffy trousers :) - so I've found the very fine clay stuff can sometimes stick to his rear end then gradually be deposited around the house...

Although he's not been allergy-tested (yet - the rescue is considering that) the vet tells me that 'itchy' cats are often allergic to pine. So, I'll probably steer clear of the wood-based stuff.

Up 'til now I've been in the 'clumping' camp, as I like the idea of getting rid of all the wee as part of a clump, rather than mixing some of it back in again. Having said that - Jacks - I've never heard such a glowing litter review, so I'm tempted to give it a try!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

:-) Always worth a try! I've got half-bags in the alley of stuff that has been rejected, or made too much mess, or gone soggy, or turned into concrete glue with Lara's offerings (clumping!). :?

Sophie BTW is very fluffy especially round her rear end and this stuff never gets stuck - even when she rolls in it :lol: - I've had fine stuff that does, and it's a real pain. The tiny granules are quite hard but not as hard as Catsan, which scratches the surface of litter boxes making them harder to clean, and it doesn't have anything like the magic absorbency...

x
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

My girls always used Thomas cat litter which I found to be very good and easy to use, but I'm not sure what it is made of. I also got it delivered from a very helpful local pet shop - whoever calls litter "lightweight" needs reporting under Trade Descriptions!!!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

I have been using Cats Best: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cats-Best-Litte ... cat+litter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But we have just started the change over to Applaws Nature's Calling: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... ROKL5A1OLE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like both! But love Applaws Nature's Calling and think that is better as the clumping is much better! Cat's Best goes very hard and horrible whereas Nature's Calling is very fine and only clumps around the actually poo or pee and is much more economical!

I would recommend Nature's Calling over Cats Best any day!
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Well done on deciding to keep Ted - I'd be hopeless at fostering and would end up keeping them all :D I actually use two litters - Catsan Hygiene and Cats Best as my three seem to have different preferences. The Cats Best is great in the tray upstairs as it's flushable so no running up and down stairs with trays any more. I also use this in our holiday apartment as they can't go out there. I have 4 trays downstairs and 2 have this and the other 2 have the Catsan. I don't like the clumping sort as it goes like clay and makes such a mess outside round the litter bin especially if it's been raining! I've not seen the Sanicat Oxygen one so might look out for that. I lost my sense of smell 3 years ago and am a bit paranoid about whether the place smells so anything that works and that they'll use is good.
Tailtidy
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Tailtidy »

I used to use the World,s Best which was very good as there wasn,t much tracking and it controlled odours well plus it lasted a while but it,s just too pricey :I then went onto Cat,s Best but too much tracking : I now use Cat,s Best Gold which is great.My cat,s love it ! and it is especially good for my long haired boy as it doesn,t get stuck to his fur. It is pellets but it clumps which is great, very little tracking,lasts well and great odour control.My local pet shop gets it in for me and it costs £11.50 for 10 litres /5kg :I have 2 litter trays and I find this litter to be good value for the time it lasts.
KittyKiernan
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyKiernan »

Gosh - all this info is so useful - thank you everyone! Especially for the details about why you like / dislike certain litters.

Cost is definitely a consideration - as things are quite tight at the moment - but at least there's just the one Ted to worry about / cater for :). Thanks again!