Strange 'nervous twitch'

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Strange 'nervous twitch'

Post by Diana »

Hey all

Ok so last Friday Shelly had a dental. All went great and she was sent home with Metacam. Today.... I saw something very odd. Just before feeding time Shelly began shaking her head....like a nervous twitch when you get the little shakes. Very minor and not violent but enough to notice. I looked at her ears and saw nothing inside yet she kinda bowed her head down as if she was about to have a scratch or does that thing when cats have a good shake of the head, but she didnt do it.

Currently she is on my lap and there are no shakes. To me it looked as if she had a minor twitch, like when we suddenly get that thing where our eyelid's twitch a bit. Or she had an itch but it seemed as if she had no control over it. Obviously its something I haven't seen before but I will watch closely and if it becomes more aggressive or constant then I know what I have to do. Just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Strange 'nervous tick'

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Diana, of course me and Fluffy remember you!!

I don't really know what to suggest with Shelly. If this is something entirely new then best keep an eye on it.

Fluffy has had something similar over the years. Like a momentarily nodding of her head. I remember even doing an impression of it for my vet when I first noticed it. I'm sure he tried very hard not to laugh. He said it could be something neurological but to keep a check on it to see if it got any worse. Well it didn't and to be honest I've not seen her do it recently but it doesn't seem to affect her in any other way.

With it being a bank holiday weekend coming up then maybe it might be just as well to give your vet a ring either tonight or tomorrow morning. It seems a little more than coincidence that this has happened so soon after her dental.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope the little girl is ok.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Strange 'nervous twitch'

Post by Diana »

Good to see you and fluffy again. You may have to remind me of your name, its been a loooong time since I was here.

True bank holiday coming up but my vets are there 24hrs so I know i can call on them any time. Currently she is still on my lap, may I add that my legs are numb lol. She hasn't done it since but I shall be watching her. Thing is it has been week now since her dental and the two teeth that came out and this has only occurred now? She was given a long lasting antibiotic that lasts for two weeks. Struggling to have any clue, maybe it was just a nervous twitch.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Diana, it's Carol. Sorry I keep forgetting that some of our user names are different on this forum. On the last forum some of us had our user name and our own name. I realised too late that I'd not done it right when I registered on this one.

Maybe it is just something and nothing. What is good is that your vets are open all hours. Wish mine were!! So therefore you can just wait and see if it happens again. Hopefully it won't. Glad she seems fine in herself. Looks like she'll be on your lap for the long haul!!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I am looking for signs like she isn't 'with' it. She seems pretty with it, she is reacting to sounds I make and so on. Alli can do is watch her. My vets are saviours and whatever hour it is I know they are their. When I touch her head she seems fine, no yelping. So time will tell.

Tbh I cannot remember my name on other forum, think it was fcuk lol.