Suggestions gratefully received re getting urine sample ....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Suggestions gratefully received re getting urine sample ....

Post by Jan »

The vet - and I - have been waiting over a month now for Blackie to 'do the necessary'.

Original intention had been for the vet to take a sample direct from his bladder when we took him a month ago for a follow up on one of his scratching episodes ( :roll: ). But as we parked the car, Blackie 'let go' in his basket (and all over my jeans - basket was on my lap) - 30 seconds too late. Result - empty bladder.

Vet told me not to stress Blackie over producing a sample as there was no urgency to get it due to fact that his blood results were better than 6months ago. So I waited ... and waited ... but the little critter is insisting on going outdoors to pee, and gets very stressed if I don't open the door. So heeding the vet's advice (and my own view), I give in and out he goes. No need to say what the first thing he does is .....

I've tried putting Katkor in both trays and was greeted with poo in one of them - but no urine in the other. As we had to take Blackie to the vets for his Milbemax tablet last week, the vet phoned + suggested we bring him in for the 1st days appt so she could then take some urine from him. We got there 10 minutes early - but the same thing happened again, I ended up with another wet leg.

This would all be funny if it wasn't so frustrating. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful to know them. A couple of years ago, before he became susceptible to stress related cystitis, I shut him in the downstairs toilet and opened the door after hearing his pitiful cries and found him trying to climb into the Catsan bag to have a pee :lol:

Its impossible to keep Blackie indoors - we've just had a 'mad half hour' with him rushing up + down the stairs, in and out of rooms - and all because the back door was shut and he wanted me to open it. (Why can't he just miaow by the door to attract my attention :?:

Only good thing to report is that Blackie has at long last stopped removing the fur from the back of his neck and belly - all now growing (or grown) back nicely.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Suggestions gratefully received re getting urine sample

Post by MarkB »

I used to get samples from Laz by having a small tupperware handy. When I saw him crouch for a pee, I put it under him. I know it wouldn't work for all cats, but maybe worth a try?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid I'm no help at all - Daz is the only cat I've had with urinary issues, and I've never yet managed to get a sample from him. The only upside to the fact that he had such a sequence of recurring blockages was that I kept having to take him in for emergency 'unblocking', so they had plenty of Daz pee if they wanted any!

Just to add, it's now over two years (TWO YEARS!!!!!) since he last had a blockage or a cystitis issue - there is hope!

*paws crossed, just in case* xx
Pip81
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Pip81 »

The only thing I found worked with my cat was to have a small tub/saucer to place underneath when he crouched....let them start peeing as they are less likely to stop once they've started. Also, a mid-stream sample is better for the vet anyway. He looked a bit confused and you run the risk of getting your hand peed on, but it worked for me :)
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hi, I have had to take lots of samples to vets for both my cats on a regular basis. Tried everything at first but finally found a very easy way for my 2 as one of them would not use the little bags of litter the vets gave us (white plastic looking balls) anyway I started using the hydrophobic sand and hey presto. Result, and so easy to collect with little pipette that come with it. I forget the name but you can buy same sort of stuff online just put hydrophobic sand for cat samples. I did have to keep one of them in till she peed though, even all day and night but the regular samples were crucial for our cher so worth the dirty looks I, used to get from her. Wee handful of dreamies when she used it and she soon got the message! You can also check it out on you tube I think. Good Luck
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Thanks for the replies + helpful suggestions.

I had considered the idea of putting something under him while he was having a pee in the garden - especially when I see him standing on all fours spraying his urine against a bush (usually when its pouring with rain and/or the earth is very wet).

Helen - TWO YEARS :o Blackie is clearly a novice at avoiding giving a sample compared to Daz! Very pleased to read he's been free of cystitis for two years. Recently had a bout of stress-related cystitis myself (over whether to move my Mum to another care home) and now understand how uncomfortable it must be for a cat.

jilly - about non-absorbent sand - I recall now the vet mentioned something about a non-absorbent sand litter but she couldn't recall the name. So thanks for the info.

Blackie has had to go into a cattery twice in the past year and stayed with his 'Auntie Linda', and the first thing he has done is go straight to his tray, look up at me and have a pee!
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

It's brilliant stuff, my vets were giving out free samples for a while last year but can't remember the make but as I said u can find it on line now. The only thing mine had success with. Probably took ten samples in about seven months, became something of an expert wee catcher (glad to be useful at something) :lol:
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

I had to get a urine sample and I got a litter packet of wee balls with a syringe.I cannot remember the exact name of the stuff but I am surprised your vet hasn't got them.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

the gravel sold for aquariums is sterile and non-absorbent (obviously!!) and the finer kind is very similar to cat litter
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I do remember having the sand recommended to me, but I had six cats at the time and no way of keeping the rest out of one particular litter tray without fursther stressing Daz, so I never actually tried it.

http://www.kit4cat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

could you speak to the cattery and see if they can set up a litter tray with the non absorbant stuff and then take Blackie there and see if he repeats the 'pee when you arrive' thing? Hopefully the cattery will be understanding and either not charge or charge a very small amount?

alternatively - I'm assuming from your comment that you jeans got wet, that you don't have a regular solid based plastic carrier? Buy one of those and see if Blackie would oblige again on the next journey to the vet. Again line the base of the carrier with the non-absorbant stuff and maybe Blackie will pee in there?

best of luck!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I think one of the issues is, if the urine is collected from the bottom of a cat carrier or similar, the sample is likely to be contaminated with bacteria. I know when our vet was testing for urine concentration, he said it wasn't too important, but a different matter if they are checking for infections.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Thanks again to those who have added more suggestions.

Did think of buying a solid based basket to go with the vet's suggestion of putting plastic in the bottom. As Blackie hates those carriers (howls non stop), I went into a charity shop on Sat just gone as they had some really nice ones in there going cheap. Trouble was, it was a couple of weeks ago that I saw these baskets and naturally they'd all been sold.

I will try putting the Katkor in his tray when we take him to the cattery this afternoon .... other than that the problem will have to be left for a couple of weeks until we return. Will speak to the vet about the 'sand' she mentioned or get some of the kit4cat myself when we return home again.

Hate having to put him in a cattery :cry: - only consolation is that 'Auntie Linda' takes special care of him and his medical/food needs. No doubt I'll be texting every day to make sure he's ok :oops:
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

I have a cat litter tray with a sieve, would you be able to make one , so urine drops through,or would it need to be sterile? puppy training pads? and then collecting urine from the soaked up.

Oh and have noticed how a few of you have added 'wee' to your replies ie wee dreamies etc.. :D
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Ha ha "wee" handful of dreamies translated is small handful on account of me being Scottish! No pun intended :lol: i actually never thought of that nanny mcfee
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Suggestions gratefully received re getting urine sample ....

Post by Jan »

Before taking him to the cattery, vet advised not to stress him once in his pen - he'd be stressed enough being caged up, so I put a 2nd tray in his pen with his normal litter. No prizes for guessing which he used - right on cue - only this time with his back to me. I've been texting every other day to find out if all is well with his bladder .... it has been :D

I'll have another try when we bring him home at the w/end - though will leave him to settle back to his normal environment for a few days first. If all else fails (and I'll try some of the helpful suggestions here), the vet might be able to get some urine from him when I take him in next month for his annual booster.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Suggestions gratefully received re getting urine sample... SUCCESS AT LAST!!! ....

Post by Jan »

After a 3 month delay, I've finally managed to get this urine sample from Blackie :D This morning he provided what I and the vet have been waiting for. Even the vet threw up her arms when I walked into her clinic and shouted 'Hooray' :lol:

Katkor was useless - I had to buy another non-absorbent litter which was 4 times the price - and even then it took him 3 months to decide to use it.

I now await the results ....
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh well done! Good luck with the results. :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Jan congrats on urine sample & post the results. Hope Blackie gets a clean bill of health. Vivian
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Thanks Helen + Vivan for your interest in this ongoing saga!

Well ... it was worth the wait. Vet phoned yesterday to say that Blackie's urine results were exactly the same as last July - which were fine in all respects.

Her only comment was that the current treatment for his Stage I CKD is obviously working - ie his usual food with Ipakitine added which has kept him at the same stage for almost a year now. So carry on as we are and another test to be done in 3 months - it'll probably take me that long to get Blackie to produce the required sample :lol:
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Jan that's good news. My vet of 28 years (retired last year) put Mayday, Crystal and now Elsa, who has lower stage 3 kidney issues, on a powder form of Ipakitine for years. Elsa now also takes 2 potassium tablets a day. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's excellent news. :)
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Jan could you please let me know which litter you had success with please? I'm in the same situation.....
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Hi Julie ... only just seen your post today.

Name of litter is 'Mikki Cat Litter Granules'. I bought a couple of bags so that his tray was well covered and can only think that as its a similar colour to the Catsan clumping litter that's always in his tray, Blackie decided to provide the necessary.

Hope this works for your cat. Good luck!