My cat is giving up :(

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sarah+shadow
Returning Cat Chatter

My cat is giving up :(

Post by sarah+shadow »

She is 14 years old and developed blindness a few months ago, we thought she was coping but she has stopped going for food and water and we need to carry her to her food bowl, shes lost alot of weight and has no energy. I hope this isnt the end for my little kitty :(
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: My cat is giving up :(

Post by Jacks »

So sorry to hear this - but please get her to a vet ASAP - she may have an infection or another reason why she is not eating, and not drinking is definitely dangerous for a cat (if it's not eating any wet food). At 14 she should have many happy years ahead of her unless there is a serious health problem.

Fusses to your girl.
x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I agree - I doubt it is her mental state which is causing her current problems - the right medication might well make a big difference
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with the others, she needs to be seen by a vet asap. What we humans might interpret as "depression" or a mental response to life circumstances, in cat terms is much more likely to be due to a health issue, which could well be treatable, or at least identified and managed. So off to the vet, straight away. Do let us know how you get on.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

I have a blind cat.

She does not behave any differently than the others, and if she goes off food etc there is another reason for it (ie it's not her sight).

I would defiantly get her to a vet to see what is causing her not to eat.

Fusses to your puss cat.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

When my Kitten went blind, she coped better than I did!

I would agree with everyone else, something is certainly not right, especially as she has been coping for a few months with blindness as you say? Please get her to a Vet as soon as you can, and fusses to your little girl from me.
sarah+shadow
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by sarah+shadow »

She got a full bill of health from the vet less than 3 months ago, she is eating but cant find her way to her food, shes using her litter tray normally but less than usual and she has a lot less energy which makes sense because shes not ate as much. She slept for 48 hours ! We were sure she was just slowly paasing away but she's still here and purring and cleaning, I think she has just gave up on the fight, I going tk make her an appointment within the week if her behaviour deteriorates any more, its just so sad :(
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

I also have a bind cat and whilst he has behavioural problems, finding his food and water isn't an issue so I agree with the others that this sounds more like there could be a health related problem. The stray we feed was recently very depressed and lethargic and came here and slept most of the day several weeks ago which I knew wasn't his normal routine. I got him to the vets and he had a very bad abscess - these things are often not visible but cause a lot of pain and cats can purr when they are hurting as well as when they're happy. Please get her to the vets as soon as you can for a check up - weight loss could be for a variety of issues which could be treatable.
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

Please do not wait to see whether or not she gets worse before you take her to see a vet. It is irrelevant that she saw one three months ago. Elderly cats can get ill quickly and you need to get someone to see her as a matter of urgency as her condition is serious and is not a matter of her just giving up. Please please take her ASAP
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

Does your vet have emergency cover? I am sure if they have and you explained the symptoms they would want to see her straight away!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, just because she was ok three months ago doesn't mean she's ok now. It could be anything that's causing this, and for all you know it could well be treatable. 14 is very young for a cat to fade away, so I strongly suspect there is something else going on. The behaviour you describe is typical of a cat who is very unwell, and until you get her back to the vet, you won't know what it is and whether it's treatable. I completely agree with the others, don't just wait to see if she dies, take her to the vet now, before it's too late to even have the option of treating her. By the sound of it, if you leave it much longer, she may well deteriorate to a point of no return. If you take her to the vet now, she at least has a chance of treatment and full recovery. Please, please don't delay any further. Get her to the vet straight away. Otherwise it sounds like it's you that's given up, rather than your cat.
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

I cannot stop thinking about your girl. I am certain that this is not a case of giving up and that she needs to see a vet now. Cats who 'give up' don't usually clean themselves. I have had cats who are sick and cleaning is the last thing they want to do. She is far too young to be acting this way. This is serious and needs to be dealt with. She may well be in pain and suffering. I have had four cats and two of them purred when they felt pain or stress, it is a myth to think that cats only purr when they are happy. Please give her the help that she desperately needs and let all of us here who are so worried about her know how she gets on.
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Hi,

Is there any news on your cat? If finances are an issues, some vets will see her and let you pay later, or a charity hospital such as the RSPCA can help. I have to say that everyone here is right. 3 months of clean health is irrelevant. She clearly has something wrong with her if she is not eating or drinking. She won't fade away if she is treated with whatever medication she needs.

Please, please take her to the vets. Blindness will not make a cat fade away, just as amputation wouldn't-cats adapt very well in these circumstances. Take her to the vet today and let us all know how you get on please xx
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Any news? I can't stop worrying about your cat :(
sarah+shadow
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by sarah+shadow »

We had to get her put to sleep last week today :( she had stopped eating, cleaning, drinking and moving. Her breathing was broken and she couldn't hold her weight. I miss her so much :( if anyone would like to see her then send me a message and ill add you on facebook to showyou all how beautiful she was. I miss her so much :'(
sarah+shadow
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by sarah+shadow »

The vet gave her a checkup shortly after I posted my concerns on here and said she was dying but not far along enough to put her to sleep, he gave her another few months, but didn't give a solid diagnosis :( I miss her so much
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry to hear your girl couldn't be saved. We all understand your sorrow, it's so hard letting them go when the time comes, and they leave such a huge hole in our lives. RIP little puss.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, Sarah, I'm so sorry. Your poor little girl. Big hugs to you. We would love to see her beautiful self. You can post photos on here. it's much easier than on the old forum. See the upload attachment facility underneath the message space.

Run free at the RB, little girl, and enjoying seeing everything again. XX
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I am so sorry :(

RIP sweet girl
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, RIP little one
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

I am sad to hear this.

Rip little one
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Sorry for your sad loss. Thanks for letting the forum know xxxx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry, RIP dear little puss, enjoy the sights at Rainbow Bridge with my Kitten and Mischa.

{Hugs}
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Willowgill »

Poor little girl - so sorry you lost her. We all understand how painful it is when they deteriorate to that inevitable point. Please put some photos of her on here. Take care.