Anticoagulant poisoning

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Anticoagulant poisoning

Post by Cussypat1974 »

2 cats here are now dead cats thanks to rat poison. I am a bit flummoxed and am trying to find out all legalities and so on. Both cats seemed a bit off colour. The first I said sure I'll bring him to the vet tomorrow. It looked like he had flu symptoms. Next morning he had crashed and by the time we got to vet he was half dead.
Ali was yesterday and as he was tame he got to vet quicker. Bloods etc were done. It was anticoagulant poisoning.
So WTF do I do now folks?
I cannot keep the ferals in. They go NUTS. We bought this house with the acre so the cas would have fun........
I am going to euthanise the next poison victim immediately because it is too late by the time they show signs. And I don't have 300 quid to try to save the unsaveable......
I am stopping cat intake. I cannot keep them safe no matter what I do.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Anticoagulant poisoning

Post by meriad »

I am so very sorry - what a horrendous experience; those poor cats :(

But.... someone must know who is putting the poison down; ask around. If the poison is on your land then you can charge for trespassing

jeez, I'll never understand the evil mindset some people have

(((hug)))
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh God I'm so sorry, how awful. I do think asking around locally might at least help you to work out how best to deal with this. You must be scared stiff. (((hugs)))
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by suelily »

That is disgusting. How can anyone do harm to innocent animals? My heart goes out to you and your family.
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Poor wee souls, and poor you. Bas**** people, I'm sorry but I can't believe these things happen. Do you think possibly being put down innocently? To kill vermin? I just can't get my head round anyone doing This deliberately.
Sorry for the rant, it doesn't help you, I'm so sorry. It probably doesn't help but all the good you do more than makes up for this, keep that in mind . Hope you get to the bottom of this. X
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. How devastating for you. I do hope you can find who's doing this. With so many cats around they really don't need to be using rat poison (which contains warfarin, the anticoagulant). So my suspicion is that this is aimed at the cats, not the rats. If that's the case, you might want to report it to the police and alert other neighbours. What an awful dilemma for you. Do you have a barn you can confine your ferals to until this is sorted?