My cat has hard fur on his back along his spine

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gritz2003
New Cat Chatter

Post by gritz2003 »

Please see photo....what could this be please? its hard to touch.....no liquids were spilled on his back so i dont know whats wrong with him :(

He eats and sleeps normally
Attachments
20151126_080511----.jpg
20151126_080511----.jpg (157.59 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: My cat has hard fur on his back along his spine

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

From the picture they look like matts, but maybe this is too obvious? Are they like lumps of hard fur? If he goes outside perhaps he got himself tangled up in some undergrowth. If so, they can be combed out with patience, or if he is resistant to that (ouch!) he can have them shaved out by the vet. Apologies if I have interpreted the picture incorrectly.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Very cute kitty! How old is he?
gritz2003
New Cat Chatter

Post by gritz2003 »

2003...12yr old
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. It looks like matts to me too. If they have come gradually then that’s what I would say they are, older cats are prone to them if they can’t groom as well as they used to, if e.g their joints are getting stiffer. If so it would probably be easier for your vet to get them out for you. If your cat will let you, then regular brushing helps avoid them. If left they can get tight and pull on the skin when the cat moves. If on the other hand it’s not matts I’m not sure what it could be. He is a lovely cat by the way.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, he may be developing arthritis which makes it difficult to reach along his spine to groom. If he will let you, gently snip the worst bits out (taking care not to cut his skin of course) and tease the rest out with your fingers, then try to keep on top of regularly grooming him. But if they're really bad or he doesn't like you cutting them out, then pop him along the to vet for them to do it. it would also be worth talking through with the vet why he's unable to groom so well now, (it could also be due to injury), and get that sorted as well. There are some treatments that will help with his arthritis.

It would also be a good idea to have full "geriatric cat" blood tests done, as 10 yrs + is when they start getting age related medical conditions, many of which can be detected by blood tests, and the sooner treated, the sooner mended and the better the prognosis.

He's a lovely looking cat by the way, I do love tabbies! His markings are almost identical to those of my first lovely tabby, Tidds.