My hiding cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

My hiding cat

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I have eight cats, but I always had one the hid :roll: He came with his two litter mates. Every time I brought another cat home, more he hid. Under the counter, under a end table. Right now he stays under my bed. The dog was the last straw 8-) Takes a whole other meaning about a monster under my bed :D I can call him out carry him to the food and water. Then the litter pan. He eats fine. Physically he is fine, its all mental.
How do I give him confidence? He doesn't agree he can be out among the rest of us. He will a couple of days then he is back under the bed.
Mittens just needs a psychiatrist
He hates him name too. He has a harsh look to his face he hears his name.
Help Mittens come out from hiding.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My hiding cat

Post by PeanutsFriend »

This is Mittens....
Attachments
IMG_20151208_140448.jpg
IMG_20151208_140448.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Mittens with brother Lucky Charms.
Attachments
IMG_20151208_141213.jpg
IMG_20151208_141213.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I wonder if your household is simply too busy for Mittens. Maybe he'd be happier somewhere else, as the only pet in a home.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Would it be worth shutting the door to his room, so giving him the chance to come out in a room where he'll not be disturbed? It does sound as though he's a cat that prefers his own company.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Well. He is staying. Unless I die. But yeah, I agree it does seem wants it just to be him. He loves it when I come and get him. We walk around the trailer together and talk. Seems sad way to live, hiding.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Jill, as others are saying here, it sounds as if Mittens needs plenty of special mummy time with you to make up for the competition around the house. Half an hour a day with the boy on his own perhaps? And as Crewella says, giving him private time with the door closed when he seems stressed.

With regard to his name - here comes the whacky bit! - ask him what he would like instead and let your intuition guide you. Edgar and Lou Lou have always been happy with their names (names they came with from rescue), they suit them and respond to them well. There wasn't really an option of changing Pepsi's name because she came from a direct adoption from a bereaved friend and it would have been insensitive at the time, but I've never thought it is really 'her' - she's such a grande dame, she needs a name with more pizzazz. She and I both like the name Ziva (yes, as in Agent David!), but we compromised on Pepz which is cooler and hipper all round than Pepsi. OH insists on spelling it Peps which is just so wrong - it misses the point!! It needs that 'z'!

Sarah and family xxx
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I did at one time change his name to, Commitment. Sounds like, Mittens. He seem to like it. :)
We lost our connection when all he wanted to do is go outside. He wasn't even good at it. Meowing the whole time out there. Annoying the neighbors. I stopped let him out when he lost his brother, Lucky. :x
As you know, nobody goes out these days. :|
He will come out for while, then back to his hiding place. :shock:
I am just glad its under the bed this time. Its warmer under there. ;)
Seems so sad. :cry: I do wish him a happier life than that. ;)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I forget you're in a country that mostly keeps cats in - the US Ithink? Here in the UK it's much more the norm for cats to go out, so 'nobody goes out these days' sounds strange to my ears! :D

It may not be perfect, but as long as he gets some decent 'quality time' with you that should help.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Yes Crewella, we live in the US. :) People here treat their animals like livestock. And they will hunt your cat down and take them away from you :x :cry: :?
Mittens came out from bed on his own today. I saw him enjoying watching the birds with his brothers. Qween Ray with ....