Car oil

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Car oil

Post by andybriz »

Any ideas on what I can use to get car oil off a cats head/ears?! Wet tea towel/paper towels are doing nothing and I don't think using soap is a good idea.

Growing up we had a cat who always used to get car oil on his ears but my parents weren't that precious over the furniture but we have a new sofa and I don't want oil on it!!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Car oil

Post by MarySkater »

What about washing up liquid diluted in warm water? That stuff can't be too toxic, since we use it for washing food utensils. (I rinse the cat bowls in fresh water after washing them, but don't bother with my own plates!) If I used it on a cat, though, I'd want to sponge the fur off with clean water afterwards.

Or maybe a pet shampoo.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

I agree with Mary about washing up liquid. I used to have a white cat and he'd go under a neighbour's car, and come in with oil on his head/body. I used diluted washing up liquid on him - it was quite effective and didn't seem to do him any harm.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

NOOOOO! If you have read the back of a well known washing up liquid it carries dire warnings about getting it in your eyes and it's effects on water courses and fish. It is nasty stuff! OH just told me it breaks down cell walls (he should know, he is a Polymer ChemIst) :shock:

A better option might be baby shampoo.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Haven't had to do this for many years, since my old cat Sally got covered in diesel leaking from a Pantechnicon parked outside, so I've just looked it up in my RSPCA cat care manual (1992).
What you need is a safe cat shampoo or baby shampoo, a plastic jug, a bowl (big enough to hold your cat), a soft cloth and a large towel.
You must ensure you do not get shampoo into kitties eyes or ears.
1. Fill bowl with warm water to c 10cm depth, test temperature before lifting kitty into the bowl.
2. Fill jug with warm water and mix in a little shampoo.
3. Wet cat with a water/shampoo mix in jug from from neck downwards. On no account put undiluted shampoo onto cat.
4. Gently massage shampoo well into the cats coat avoiding eyes, ears and mouth.
5. Rinse puss with fresh warm water until all traces of shampoo are removed.
6. Lift cat out of bath and wrap in warm towel to dry her off.
7. Carefully wioe around ears, eyes, nose and mouth with soft damp cloth.
8. If you can, finish drying with a hair dryer (I found 30 min in the airing cupoard was more practical!).
As an alternative,if your cat is short haired, the RSPCA manual recommends a dry shampoo - rub warm bran into her coat and the brush it out vigorously. (Probably worth a try if you have any bran.)
I managed sally single handed (but she was a very small cat) but it would be much easier with two.
Hope this helps.
Alan
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andybriz »

Thanks all. It disappeared overnight in the end. Maybe the other one gave him a lick or he's quite fond of cleaning his head on this big bush outside! Next time I'm at the vet, I'll pick up some cat shampoo, I'd probably just dab the patches rather than give him an actual proper shampoo.