Cat seems constipated

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat seems constipated

Post by meriad »

Mark, I wouldn't be surprised if Renalzine has been discontinued. I don't think I know of anyone whose cat would eat food with it mixed it.

Kat, not sure how I missed this link originally, I'll blame it on the excessof Christmas at the time so apologies for not replying. When you can, have a look at this link http://www.felinecrf.org/ it's rather overwhelming at first but does have a lot of good advice.

Also has the vet said anything about Fortekor? They're not that expensive and worked really well for my Molly. You can also get a generic version of them (Mark knows the name) and he mentions it on this thread http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... =13&t=4221 Also it often works out cheaper to buy the medication online and just pay for a prescription from the vet.

Have a read through the other thread as quite a bit of info has been put on there already and hopefully we can help with any other questions you may have

fusses to Beryl x
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks Meriad yes there is a lot of info! Ive been giving her some plain white fish at the moment, is this ok? Shes on Hills Renal biscuits and the wet food, but I just cant keep paying 10 quid for a box of pouches every week.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I have never bought from this online shop, but their prices are quite a bit lower

http://www.bitiba.co.uk/shop/cats/canne ... GwodYOQFxQ
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

ladymissk wrote:Thanks Meriad yes there is a lot of info! Ive been giving her some plain white fish at the moment, is this ok? Shes on Hills Renal biscuits and the wet food, but I just cant keep paying 10 quid for a box of pouches every week.
It depends how much fish and how much cat food, as fish isn't balanced enough. Medic animal tended to work out the cheapest but not the quickest for delivery. I gave buster half renal , half senior with renal Biscuits, Zia had renal dry with a bit of adult wet (she preferred dry before diagnosis) and her kidney values went back within normal limits
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks guys Ill definitely try it x :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Have a look on Zooplus as well - they do various renal foods that I think work out cheaper

But ask your vet about feeding regular wet food (senior probably best) and use Ipakatine as a binder - that should be enough I'd have thought and work out a lot cheaper?
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

I buy Ipakatine online from Viovet and add it to Blackie's normal wet food (Felix) along with added warm water. The renal food was suggested initially but I had a heck of a job getting Blackie to eat it for more than 2 days - even mixing it with his normal food.

As said by others, best to check that using a phosphate binder is the way to go. Blackie is at a very early stage of CKD - only picked up because he had a blood test prior to having a tooth removed almost a year ago.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I tend to use Animed Direct for stuff like that.

Have a read of the 'Diet' page of Tanya's excellent website to get some idea of the 'dos and don'ts'. It's all a bit scary and confusing at first, but you will get the hang of it and I'm sure she'll be OK. :)

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm