please help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

please help

Post by zavvy »

my little girl tilly, the cat had a bad experience at the vets when a steroid injection went wrong for her over grooming and making her saw. now this saw has come back in a bad way and she is licking it all the time, no matter what I do. I have put a Victorian collar on her and she will just sit for days with it and refuses to move, I read about a little savlon as it is ok to use on cats and she just gets this of. I really don't want to upset her by taking her to the vets as its so stressful for her, please what can I do, I'm desperate and it hurts me so much to see her like this.

thanks francis.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: please help

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Francis,
Did the vet actually find out WHAT was making her sore in the first place?
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

the vet had no idea, just over grooming, when she put the steroid needle in she must have went to far in as tilly just went feral after that. I was attacked by her for 3-4 weeks, needed stitches in my hand and head, I think she went blind for a short time as she kept bumping into stuff. the vet said bring her back and if she is we will have to put her down. this destroyed me and I just prayed over her and persevered with her and loved her back to nearly her normal self. she has a few issues but nothing to bad. this is why I cant put her through that again.

thanks for reply.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Francis don't know but...if she's over grooming & breaking her skin resulting in a sore/infection could it be an anxiety issue? And I know it's costly but could you get a vet to do a house visit to save her stressing? I'm sure someone will post something to help/relieve your worries. And as to having her put down ... people have cats that have lost their sight!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I think you need a new vet!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I agree that seeing another vet sounds like the only thing to do. Very few cats like going to the vet, but we just have to do it for their sake.
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

I have made an appointment for tomorrow for another vet, not bothered about the cost she is my baby, I know some people think I'm crazy but my two cats have helped me through my divorce which was very sticky and other traumas and I will always be there for them at what ever cost to me.
in the mean time I have cut a leg out of my thermals and put 2 holes in it for her legs, its just right for her body and it covers her saw parts and it has deterred her from the saw point. I am 6ft 3in and when my vet said to put her down I felt so angry as to there cover up the things I wanted to do was horrible to them, then I thought its not going to help my tilly. I thank you all for your help and advice and I will keep you informed. my name is francis Xavier and I'm on face book with my two cats on the main picture, drop a line and say hi.

francis.
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

can some one tell me also how to get a picture up were my name is thanks.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

zavvy wrote:can some one tell me also how to get a picture up were my name is thanks.
You need to make an avatar, which is photo no bigger than 135 by 135 pixels. You may have some software which will let you adjust your photo to this size, but I've also found this site helpful:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

You upload your original photo, and tell it what size avatar you need. If your original picture was not square, then it will select a square from the left, centre and right, and show you those so you can pick which you prefer. Once you've got it, save your avatar on your computer. Then click on your name at the top of the forum, click "User Control Panel," and from there go to "Profile." At that point you can upload your avatar.

Well done for making a "body bandage" for your cat to stop her licking the sore place.

Mary
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

well the new vets have taken swabs and gave me some cream, but when I put it on tilly went mental as if it was burning her and she was crying, something she never does. phoned the vet and said persevere with it so up to now shes stopped crying but my body sock is working 100%, she never scratched at it or tried to lick it at all last night or today, so hopefully, god willing found some relief for her. thanks for your posts and god bless.

francis.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Just taking a different angle on this, Fur pulling and over grooming can be behavioural due to stress. Look at her world from her view point and see if there's anything you can do to maker hurry world safer and calmer. Have you also considered flea allergy?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

zavvy wrote:well the new vets have taken swabs and gave me some cream, but when I put it on tilly went mental as if it was burning her and she was crying, something she never does. phoned the vet and said persevere with it so up to now shes stopped crying but my body sock is working 100%, she never scratched at it or tried to lick it at all last night or today, so hopefully, god willing found some relief for her. thanks for your posts and god bless.

francis.
I have suffered with eczema in the past and some of the creams I have used have tingled or burned for a while before everything settled down. If it is something like a flea allergy that is causing the itching, the addition of the cream would probably make it burn first. It should settle down though. Is the skin broken at all?
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

hi every one and first of all let me wish everyone a happy new year from me and Harvey and tilly. I have never known such a helpful bunch of people in my life and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. now tilly. in the past I have tried cat pheromones and every thing you can get your hands on, the cat jacket I have made for her seems to be doing the trick, shes stopped the licking and the odd scratch which is fantastic news to me, on a funny side of this. I made a jacket with 4 holes in it, one for each leg, she let me put it on her and when I put her down she turned on her back like a pork sausage with 4 little sticks pointing up which were her legs and no matter what I did I could not get her to stand up, I was crying with laughter, she is such a drama queen, god love her. I tried all these other treatments when my ex wife gave me a choice, the cats or me, that's why she is my ex and I love my cats. I thought that they may miss her in some way but no that was not the case, thankfully. I have kept a eye on them in case she was getting bullied from Harvey and that's not the case either, I thought maybe boredom so I have a spare room down stairs( my cats are in door, I would die if anything were to happen to them ) so I made it into a play room for them with half a tree with big branches on and shelves and I have had boxes made with little holes in like tunnels so it goes across the wall and they love it but still she was doing the over grooming. one thing I have stopped also and many people called me crazy for doing this, tilly was got from a farm, I was out walking one day and went through a farm yard and my wife and I saw the farmer drowning these kittens, tilly was the only one left by the time I got there, the farmer was knocked on his **** by the way, sorry for the swear word as ever time I think of him I get angry. so as she was getting older I started to give them fresh prawns and meat, beef, I have cut the prawns out now and maybe that's helping also. I will keep you all informed as we go. god bless to all and the best of 2016. xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Happy New Year zavvy. Gosh what lucky kitties, a play room! I had better not let my lot see you post or they will want one. :lol:

Since Tommy passed, our other kitties have all come to us as very young kittens, 2 lost and 2 abandoned. Purdy was thrown out of a car as it passed a friend's garage forecourt.

In this very rural area there is still a lot of negative beliefs and folklore about cats, especially black ones. Where I used to live in England, the average stray was tabby. Here black is the main colour. I have 2 of these beautiful 'black bog cats'. I am sorry to say that drowning kittens is still an 'accepted' method of birth control. :twisted: :twisted:

Fortunately there are an increasing number of people who are multi cat families and believe, as we do, that if you want the best seat in the house, you will have to move the cat! :lol:

I hope you soon find out what is troubling Tilly. Best wishes

Sue
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

hi, called to the vets today to get some results and the answer is, I have fed her to rich a food, how I feel so sick now because I love them both I was doing more harm than good. I feel such a cruel person and its upset me all day. I have some penicillin tablets now that will take the itch away from her and no more rich food just good old cat food which is low in allergies. she seems to have brightened up some more today so feeling happy for her but silly for me.
on another not, there is this beautiful black and white cat that has been hanging about for the last week and as time went on I noticed her getting thinner and thinner, trying not to encourage me to feed her, any way last night I gave in and brought her in to the house and fed her, Harvey and tilly a little put out but they are so laid back they are horizontal, after a feed she wondered into the front room followed by my two then she jumped up on my knee and fell asleep for 3 hours. she purred like a train, so needing affection. in the end I thought I best put her back out side in case she is some ones cat and went to bed. for some reason I was awake all night and in the end I got up at 4.30 am to find her sound asleep out side on my window sill, my heart fell as it was and had rained all night. so I opened the door again and with a look of joy on her face I dried her of with the hair dryer, don't know why I have one as I have very short hair, and she has been with me all day so now at this moment in time all 3 cats are laid on the bed with me in a big bunch of fluff and purrs. life is good. if people can be cruel to cats and leave them out side and not feed them well I will take them no matter what.
I live in the town area and people are not nice, we have had so many cats been poisoned with anti freeze and so on, cats hit with air guns and what ever they can do to hurt them, people do. that's why mine stay inside and I do my best to occupies there mind. if I ever see anyone hurt any animal in any way I cant stand by and let it happen, these are gods gift to us and they are the most beautiful pets that own us, they pick us so we should be privileged by this not hurt them. I don't have many friends in fact just the one and he is as passionate about my cats as what I am. when he comes in its a fight to see were he sits, 9 times out of 10 he has the floor as the cats like to spread their bodies across the sofas.

I'm so sorry I cant find people on the net as I'm not very good with the computer, give me some pipe and tools and I will make anything, give me this and my big finger on my right hand hurts as its one key at a time.

I thank god for the people on here especially bobbys girl as we seem to be on the same crazy wave length.

god bless and happy new year to each human and there cats. xxxxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so glad you've got to the root of the problem, and don't be too hard on yourself - you did get the problem sorted out, and that's what matters. And bless you for taking in the waif! :)
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

tanks for all your support to everyone who read this mail and everyone who commented on it. my little tilly is doing well now, shes on a diet, over feeding her, plus some tablets to help with the itch and the liking, she seems so much happier. as for my little stray, well she has fit right in as if she has belonged here all her life. one thing is for sure, I wont get cold in the winter, I have 3 cats snuggling in to me and these last few nights I have had to take some sheets of as to warm, to the cats disappointment that is. I will keep in touch and let you know how I progress with things.

also tonight on the T.V I saw that in Newcastle upon Tyne there is a café opened up were you can go, have a cup of tea and cake and there is lots of cats running about and you can stroke them as you please. wonderful. there is one in Edinburgh but this is the first local to me and I cant wait till I go. its called Mog on the Tyne. brilliant and well done the young lady who owns it.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Zavvy, hi there

Just rereading through this thread and if I may ask, what were you feeding Tilly that was too rich and what are you feeding now? Reason I ask is that one of mine Harry pulls his fur a lot, huge big clumps - which admittedly does look like dead undercoat (if that makes sense) but still, it's a lot of fur. I am 99.9% certain that he has a cereal intolerance so I've cut those out his diet but recently he started up again.

So just wondering if there is something else I could try - rich foods had never crossed my mind, but that of course is an option as well

thanks in advance!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Francis,

Nice to hear from you again. That's really good news about Tilly. Does your stray have a name yet?

We have 2 black and white strays that call in now and again. Felix has been coming for years, every couple of weeks, for a few days. We see more of him in winter and sometimes he stays overnight in the kitchen. I would take him in (the others don't mind him) but he is happy enough to come and go. The other cat is Shadow - so called because he follows Gracie, much to her disgust!

I laughed at your '3 cats on the bed'. If you were hot with them on the bed, try it with three dogs!! Do you remember the band Three Dog Night? NOW I know where they got their name from. :lol: The doggies are no longer with us, just 4 cats!

Stay in touch.
zavvy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by zavvy »

hi mermaid, first of all, tilly had this problem some time ago and the steroid needle had a dangerous affect on her which made her go feral and blind for some time, to which I got the back lash of stitches in the head and hand and arm. but I loved her, prayed over her and fed her treats, fresh king prawns and the best beef, uncooked just the way she liked it. I gave her this every day after that and I made a rod for my own back, as every time I went out she was waiting on the window inside for her treats. what I did was to cut all the treats and like I said to another person, used a little savlon and rubbed it well in till I could get her to the vets, this was over the Christmas period. the vet then gave me, steroid tablets and penicillin for her and this seems to work which I am so happy about. plus I get the anti allergic food for her also. so I can not say one thing is the blame I just wanted her better so I cut what ever I could out.

as for 3 dogs on the bed with me, that would be like a hot tub. I could not cope with it. I have to day been and ordered a new king size bed for myself while the cats have the other king size, 1 year old and the heated blanket. now I will be cold but so long as the cats are warm who cares.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi Zavvy - just come back on here after a long absence and just wanted to say how glad I am that not only did you get Tilly sorted out but that you've also taken in the little stray. Several of my cats have started out as strays and I believe they return all the love you give to them tenfold. Did you get her checked for a chip though - it would be sad to think of another cat parent going crazy looking for her if she's got lost. If she is someone's it's best to find out before you get too attached to her - although that might already be too late :)