Metronidazole

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Metronidazole

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello

Does anyone have experience of this AB with their furbabes? My ex stray boy Edgar is having on going treatment for gingivitis and in the absence of our usual vet, his colleague put our boy on a 10 day course on top of half a steroid every other day. I couldn't get the first two doses down him but we're on track now. I looked it up and read that it isn't licenced for vet use but is still widely prescribed for cats, dogs and horses. We go back in 10 days to see if it's helped. Has anyone had good results with it?
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Metronidazole

Post by Meandmymunki »

Yes it does have really good results for mouths and ongoing diarhoea problems, as you say it can be quite difficult to administer tho as it is very bitter tasting. That and antirobe have had the best results for mine with ongoing gingivitis problems.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thank you very much! That extra interesting, because Edgar has also been having some wet poos and I have been dealing with that by diet - RC gastro intestinal pouches and plain chicken and fish along with cereal free biscuits when he'll eat them. it will be interesting to see if his poo problems are resolved with the AB as well. I tried the first two doses of the Metronidazole crushed into food and he refused it, but he's now taken them squidged into webbox meaty sticks. Phew. Antirobe didn't seem to help him, so we'll see what the outcome is this time. Really appreciate your reply. Thank you!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My old Minnie has been on Metronidazole a couple of times for diarrhea and it worked well. I go for the 'down the hatch' method, as all my lot seem to have super-pill-spotting-radar.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Ha ha, Helen - I suspect eventually that will be the way I have to go too! Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling positive about this AB now particularly if it may deal with two problems at once.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

fingers crossed it does work for both problems.

Fusses to your gorgeous boy
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thanks, Ria! He will accept them with a big throaty purr!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Delighted to report real success with the Metronidazole. After a two week course Edgar's gums are finally looking a nice healthy pink. He has another two week course before we return and the plan is then to wean him off them gradually. We've stopped steroids because of his inclination to gain weight. His poo is also much firmer which is a bonus and I'm alternating his regular food with RC gastro which he actually enjoys. I thought he was feeling better in himself as he's been very playful, almost too much for Lou Lou, but I'm starting to pick up the signals when he's thinking about rough housing her and I suggest another activity!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's great news (though perhaps not so much for Lou Lou .....)! :D

Hope he continues to improve. xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

So pleased Edgar is feeling better and the meds are helping. More fusses to him and the rest of your gang
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Sarah I've only just caught up with this. I'm thrilled that Edgar has done so well. What a relief for you. Sounds like he's feeling good too. Give that tummy a tickle from me x
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Did you know you can buy this in the fish dept. cheaper?
It is the same thing. Dosage is all you need to know
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That's interesting, Jill. Do you mean in the fish department, as in Aquatics, or as in the fish counter in a supermarket? Presumably the former! I will be interested to see if it is available that way in the UK.x
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

SarahT1 [PLLE] wrote:That's interesting, Jill. Do you mean in the fish department, as in Aquatics, or as in the fish counter in a supermarket? Presumably the former! I will be interested to see if it is available that way in the UK.x
Sorry not answering this before. I am so use to nobody talking to me over here.
Yes. A vet told me it is all the same med. I use the fish one when every someone is sickly.
Helps the dog too.
I sprinkle their water lightly with it for a week and what ever is ailing them it goes. thank goodness. Too bad it doesn't work on age in a cat.
jill
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Jill, haven't you realised by now that we love to talk on here!? And I love to chat with you! I am fascinated by your US life with your furry gang.

Thank you for the tip. Edgar is being resistant to his last course of Metronidazole and sussing it out in his treats now. Grrr. Yes, if only there was something to deal with old age for our babies. Metacam helps Pepsi but she was very quiet yesterday and stayed in her donut from mid morning to bedtime, although she ate three meals hand fed to her and some vitamin treats. I was concerned about her but this morning she was meowing to go out and she ran up and down the garden in the rain. She'd done a nice poo in the night which is always a relief, as you know from the Poogate affairs!

Special fusses to your girlie, snuggles to the rest of the gang and hugs to you.
Last edited by SarahT1 [PLLE] on Tue May 27, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I don't have any experience with this, but they have it on eBay (about £12 for 50 tablets)- sold as an AB for fish. I wonder if it might be handy for rescues, especially ones overseas that struggle to get supplies. What is the cat dose?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Will check the bottle tonight, Mark.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Sarah :)

I guess some of them are already aware of it.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

It's a 50mg dose we have, a 30 day course. Unfortunately he's now throwing up anything with them in (OH thinks deliberately!) so this last week is rather wasted. We press on!
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

It is tough having a sickly cat in the house.
Mine are at different stages.
Peanut still doesn't eat the amount a normal cat does. I let him decide. He is three years old now
He is the one who started this research. I saved his life doing this Interenet search and one old country vet advise. As a kitten Peanut would have died if I depended on the vets around here.
I still use a Vicks plugin when his nose gets stuffy.
I spinkle it in their water when someone gets sluggish. Perks them right up.
I have heard if they are exposed to it too much, the desease starts getting amune to it.
I hope Edgar's heath improves.
Maybe make his dosage smaller so he doesn't taste the meds. Some is better than none. That is what I would try with mine. I don't know what his sickness is. Alot of times I don't know what mine are either.
Day by day
jill
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Jill, that's such good advice, about not insisting her has the full dose. If he has something rather than nothing that's good. Edgar has gingivitis from his years as a stray and a certain amount of overlooking of things when he was in rescue. He had 12 teeth out in March and we are trying to contain the gum disease.

You are so kind to think of us at this horrid time for you. XX
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

I have not heard of that before, but if it works then I am all for it. It can be such a nightmare getting medication down them if they are troublesome in that respect. We can only try right!
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

SarahT1 [PLLE] wrote:Jill, that's such good advice, about not insisting her has the full dose. If he has something rather than nothing that's good. Edgar has gingivitis from his years as a stray and a certain amount of overlooking of things when he was in rescue. He had 12 teeth out in March and we are trying to contain the gum disease.

You are so kind to think of us at this horrid time for you. XX
I would put it in his water a small amount until it was gone , the meds. Alot of times I put it in for a week, stop to see if they can go on their own, Then go again if need be. Ussually not.
Jill
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Sarah, how is Edgar's gingivitis? Is he taking his meds?
Jill
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I gave a smaller dose today but OH says he still sussed it out. We're off to vet at 8am so will report back then! He's on good form though so hopefully we can come off meds for a while. More news tomorrow! Thank you for asking. Fusses to your gang, a sweet thought for Meu, and hugs to you.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Morning Jill

Gums: not as much improvement today as two weeks ago. Vet gave strong steroid shot and I'm supposed to get Edgar to take TWO doses of Metroindazole a day now. Some chance!! Vet has other plans for very expensive meds if no further improvement in two weeks. Ah well, I don't have human children who would cost a lot more than my furry ones! Edgar's weight is still an issue so we've got obesity control food to try for a week. Might give it a go myself!

Hope Peanut is looking after you well. X
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Sarah. I'm sorry you didn't get the news you'd hoped for this morning. Poor Edgar. I don't have any useful suggestions of how to get him to take his meds. I have enough trouble with my little madam. I normally hide hers in webbox although I've recently discovered that the chews from nature's menu are a lot softer and more squeezable and more tasty (I haven't personally tasted them but the ingredients look good). So far with the nature's menu chews we have a 100% success rate :) She is like Edgar and doesn't have many teeth left so I wonder if the webbox is a little difficult for her. If she goes off the nature's menu ones then cheese will be the next option. Oh the joys of medicating a cat :D

Please give Edgar a cuddle from me xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Carol
As it happens I got some nature's menu chews today so will try the tonight. Cheese is a great idea. We're away for one night tomorrow so perhaps the cat sitter will work some magic. My poor boy, he is so good at the vet, purring and headbutting as if it was a social outing! He even dosed off as he nearly broke the scales! X
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Sarah. I'm so sorry I just burst into laughter at Edgar dosing off on the scales :D

What an absolutely gorgeous boy he is. I love the fact that he's so good at the vets. How rare is that!! That is one less thing for you to worry about when you have to take him. He is so sweet. I'd love to pick him up and give him a squeeze. Let us know how you get on with the new chews. They really are quite a bit softer. Is it an animal aunt that's coming tomorrow? They might have a totally different approach. You never know. Here's hoping!!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Cheese was the answer! Down the hatch no questions asked! He is suspicious of softy looking treats at the moment but cheese has no baggage! We have all had a wonderful afternoon and evening together mostly playing in the garden and the drug infused cheese was the icing on the cake! Thank you for your support, Carol and Jill! X