My cat has fleas, please help!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My cat has fleas, please help!

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi,

My cat has fleas and I cant seem to get rid of the things! My cat has been scratching a lot recently and I saw some fleas on his white fur that he has under his chin. I put some advantage spot on on him last week, he doesnt seem to be scratching like mad like he was but I have a feeling he still has fleas. I have felt the fleas crawling over my legs and I have been feeling very itchy. I have felt them crawling on me when I have been in bed. I keep hoovering the floors, I have hoovered the bed and changed the bed sheets, I dont know what else to do? I have put some more spot on on him today just in case the first one didnt kill all the fleas.

I have tried to look into his fur to see if he still has fleas but its very difficult as he hates it when I try and look into his neck. I am getting really fed up with the horrible things crawling all over me all the time, can anyone give me any advice please.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: My cat has fleas, please help!

Post by booktigger »

If your cat has fleas, you need to treat the house as well as the cat using a household spray such as Indorex (not Bob Martin). You also need to speak to your vet if you have put a second spot on on him, as I think you have to leave a minimum of 3 weeks between treatments.
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Tara1984 »

Yes I will treat my home as well. I know you are supposed to wait 3 weeks to reapply again but I thought if there are still fleas on him then maybe a second application would kill the fleas. I dont know if he will need an injection to kill the fleas :(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Tara1984 wrote:Yes I will treat my home as well. I know you are supposed to wait 3 weeks to reapply again but I thought if there are still fleas on him then maybe a second application would kill the fleas. I dont know if he will need an injection to kill the fleas :(
What you see on the cat is only a tiny percentage, what you are being bit by are probably from the house, not him.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Definitely treating the house with something like Indorex is needed. Also make sure when you vacuum that you concentrate on every little crack and nook in the house. Get a flea collar from a shop, cut it in half and put that into the vacuum bag to stop any flea eggs hatching in the bag and dispose of the bag as often as you can, each time replacing the flea collar in there. Expensive yes, but it works.

Definitely speak to the vet about alternative treatments for the cat and whatever you do, do not be tempted to buy anything bob martin (besides the flea collar that is) from the shops to use for your cat; they've had some really really horrendous problems.

Wash as much of the cat bedding as you can and also your own bedding (ideally that on a boil cycle). In fact, depending on finances, maybe think about throwing away most of the cat bedding you have now and replace it once the flea issue is resolved. And in the meantime use old towels for him because they can be regularly boil washed as well - basically what you're trying to do is kill as many of the adult fleas as you can with the vacuuming and stop any eggs from hatching.

Best of luck!!!!!