Progesterone injections?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ashleyberner
Frequent Cat Chatter

Progesterone injections?

Post by ashleyberner »

I am having behavioral issues with my two year old, male, neutered cat. There are moments every day (usually in the morning) that he can be relentless in trying to wrestle with his sister, and get her to play. Even as she hisses and growls. My vet suggested several things, one being that perhaps a progesterone injection for my male cat would help calm him and stop his need of attacking his sister. Opinions? Thank you for any advice.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Progesterone injections?

Post by meriad »

Are you home all day? Just wondering whether more 1 on 1 playtime with him may wear him out a bit more so he leaves his sister alone. Does he have outdoor access or are they both indoor only cats? If they are indoor cats only do you have enough things in the house to keep them both entertained and busy.

Personally I'd avoid messing with hormones until you've tried everything else.
ashleyberner
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ashleyberner »

I am generally at home all day, yes. Whenever he gets playful, I do play with him. And I do a nighttime play with him before bed, so he will sleep through most of the night. He's really active in the early mornings, like 6-7am. He does not have outdoor access, they are both indoor. However, they do have daytime access to a sun room where they can watch birds and other wildlife. I live in a rural area, so there is generally enough to keep him occupied. It's just sometimes he gets bored, wants to play, his sister does not -- and there's an argument. It's been several days since she's gotten really stressed out. She might growl at him still if he gets playful, but he is listening to her warnings more. Hope it continues. I am also getting a Feliway diffuser today, hoping that will help assist in keeping them calm. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.
ashleyberner
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ashleyberner »

After taking necessary steps... things have improved slowly... there hasn't been a big blow up in a week, there has been some slight tension, which I've dealt with. I also plugged in a Feliway diffuser today. I am still so fearful something will happen again... for those of you who know more about this and have experienced it... when should I feel hopeful I am in the clear and on the way towards peace all of the time? Thanks.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

to be honest, you're dealing with a 2 year old cat, bascially in human terms a moody teen that wants things his way :lol: . Whilst things may never be 100% bliss and harmony hopefully as he gets older he will calm down a bit.

Just wondering if there is anyway you could give them controlled outdoor access, ie cat proof garden, cat run or something like that - that may help as well? The other option, but one you'd have to give very careful consideration to as it can go wrong, is to find another younger male cat that will enjoy playing and roughing it with your boy. But as said - you'd have to be very sure to get the right kind of cat.

But well done for getting so far; it's difficult at times
ashleyberner
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ashleyberner »

Very true. They will be 3 in April. I'm hoping as he gets older this will be less of an issue, and so does my girl! She really does love her brother, but not when he tries to wrestle with her and chases her.

They do have access to a lot of windows and a sun room, so there are lots of birds and wildlife to watch as I live in a rural area. It's just when he gets occasionally riled up, as young cats sometimes do, he will sometimes attack his sister. He means to play... but she does not want to play, nor does she take it that way. Not sure why this particular time it was so extreme... but it took a good 2-3 days to calm her down. She is still a little uneasy around him when he's energetic.

I've had two full days without much of an incident. There has been a couple of times where he will come up to her wanting to play, she will give a threatening meow or a quick hiss and he has been backing down and moving on. She is doing much better at calming down because he has been leaving her alone when she tells him to. I really hope he continues to. If she has a defense like that, she will (and I will) feel a lot better. I've been playing with him whenever he seems energetic, and definitely before bedtime. And the Feliway diffuser has been plugged in for one day so far.

I just hope I can calm down and be at ease soon... hopefully this was just a really bad event and we have all learned from it what we needed to.
ashleyberner
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ashleyberner »

I did catch my girl hiding under the bed today. Not sure why, because I've been listening all day for any issues. Maybe he had a look in his eyes or something... but she came out. Then she went back... now I have her out again. It's not a struggle to get her out with some treaties.