Tilly has Pancreatitis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Tilly has Pancreatitis

Post by alanc »

We have just had a terrible start to 2016. Two days before Christmas, Tilly suddenly went off her food and was repeatedly trying to be sick, bringing up fluid. Took her to the Vets, where she was treated for the nausea but nothing obviously wrong could be found, although they did mention Pancreatitis as a possibility. Next day, she rapidly got better and was back to her usual self and eating happily, so I thought she may just have eaten something that disagreed with her. Then on New Years day she had a repeat performance, except she wasn't quite so bad, until Saturday night/Sunday morning when she went rapidly downhill and could hardly stand. So rushed her off to the emergency vet on Sunday morning where she went onto a drip to relieve dehydration. Vet thought Pancreatitis likely, given the repeat performance. She had blood and other tests done. She responded to the treatment and improved sufficiently for me to bring her home Tuesday morning. Seems like once she had perked up enough to take an interest in her surroundings she did her usual trick of charming every one at the Vets! Never been so glad to hear her going "ARROOOOU" at full volume (who said Maine Coons were quiet)! She is on special Gastro Intestinal food which she is not to keen on and chicken breast (which she likes rather more). Also 2 penicillin tablets morning and evening which are causing a few problems, though my pilling technique has improved rapidly (total failure Tuesday, 50% success this morning and 100% success this evening). Gave up on the hide in food method and resorted to the sneak up when she is not looking and shove it down before she realizes whats happening. Had the results of the tests today and she definitely has Pancreatitis. What is causing it is not so clear, except that the tests show it is not diabetes or kidney trouble (apparently two common causes). May be irritable bowel syndrome (never knew cats could get that), will have to wait for the results of further tests. If it is, then its going to be special cat food - hope they make a Jelly version not just the gravy version as Tilly prefers Jelly.
Does anyone have experience of Pancreatitis in cats (in 35 years of cat ownership I have never come across it before) and what the likely outcomes are?
On the bright side, at least tubby Tay from next door has got a bit thinner as he has not been able to get in and pinch any of Tilly's left overs (though he has tried).
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tilly has Pancreatitis

Post by alanc »

Just to update this. Tilly has been gradually improving all week is now running around as normal. Took her back for a check up this morning and she is now fully recovered and fine. No more pills (hooray!) and she can go back to her previous wet food. A bit worrying that the cause is still unknown.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry I don't know anything about Pancreatitis, but I am glad to hear that Tilly is responding well and hope she continues to do so.

Thomas hated having his meds, but after a while he became resigned 'oh go on then'. :roll:
Hera
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Hera »

Hi
I had a cat with pancreatitis about eight years ago. The vet said that fatty food was a possible cause. Fifteen hundred pounds later he recovered and has been fine ever since. I don't feed him any of the fancy cat food as they tend to have a lot of fat in them. He just has basic Whiskas or Felix and at 12 years old looks very well.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Thanks, Hera. That's reassuring. Seems Tilly's bout has been quite cheap, she has only cost Petplan £640! I will take heed of what you say about fatty food. Been looking at the contents of the tins and I think the Gourmet Ocean Fish pate which is Tilly's favorite at the moment doesn't have to much fat in it.