I think Milla is trying to kill one of the kittens

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

I think Milla is trying to kill one of the kittens

Post by Joe_Danger »

Sorry I'm making a new topic but this is very very disturbing
The kittens are starting to get out of the nest and interact with us a lot now, they'll be a month tomorrow
This morning she grabbed the big brown one and started choking him almost, she got on top of him like I've never seen her do before and grabbed him by the neck while holding him pinned down he even screamed. I thought she was play fighting since she was kicking with her kind legs but Milla has been so upset and distrubed by the kittens getting out that I don't think that was it.
She did this twice and I'm worried she will choke the kitten before we can do anything about it.

Our house isn't set up in a way so that we can separate the cats, so that's not an option either

Again sorry im making a brand new topic about this, but dang, did not expect her to do this all of a sudden especially not to her toughest kitten.
He is very aware, very stable on his feet and very curious, slowly exploring his environment, sniffing everything and even showing interest in his mom's food

EDIT: I just want to say that after the first time she did this, she let the kitten nurse and he was doing so for a long time, then they fell alseep outside the nest while the other kittens were inside sleeping.

The second time she did this I was playing some games and Medo came up to me and started rubbing himself against me, trying to climb me and such, I purposely didn't touch him because I was worried she might get upset if there's too much of my scent on me. When he lost interest in me and went to explore further she grabbed him, started cleaning him furiously and eventually grabbed him by the neck, not the scruff of his neck either legit by the neck and started kicking with her hind legs like when she is play fighting except it looked like she was pressing hard on him, enough for him to scream again.

He got in the nest after that and she had them all nurse in there just fine
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: I think Milla is trying to kill one of the kittens

Post by Jacks »

I'll post not that I have any experience with new kittens but just to reassure you that as far as I'm concerned it's great that you're asking, and to say well done for taking such good and sensitive care of Milla and her kittens.

From what you've said I don't think she's trying to kill him (or he would be dead, or have bite marks on him, to start with) but it sounds like she's not happy with his behaviour. You say he's the largest and strongest of the kittens - sounds like he also the most adventurous and the 'leader' of the group, but Milla want them to progress in their exploration in accordance with what she's happy with, so she's reprimanding him for doing things she's not comfortable with. When he's back nursing with her she's happy. As you say, she's disturbed and upset by them getting out and she doesn't think they're ready.

If he's bold she's undoubtedly put him back in the nest gently a number of times, but he keeps trying to explore. I suspect he's not getting the message, so she's making sure he does. The first incident where they were nursing together outside the nest would suggest to me that he's very important to her as her strongest kitten and in fact she doesn't want to lose him. The cleaning furiously when she caught up with him in the second incident would suggest to me that she's not happy with his 'straying' and she's anxious about him. The fact that he went back to the nest and nursed afterwards would suggest he did 'get the message' at that time. Whether he'll remember it is another matter. Unless she starts showing signs of attacking him when he's in the nest and nursing, you may have to just trust that she knows how much force to exert and won't actually damage him, as I don't think it's her intention.

Do keep an eye on them, but at 4 weeks they're far too young to be leaving their mother in any case, and she's not happy with them wandering at this point in time either. She's a new mum and she wants her babies with her, where she can keep an eye on them. As they get older and more capable she will be happy to let them explore in her safe environment.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks
I really hope that's all there is to it :)

the most active and adventurous is Kala, she is impossible to handle and has been walking steadly for days now going wherever. Milla grabs her and tries to stop her from doing so too but never did this to her.
Medo is the fattest, can't really tell who the bigger between Casper and Medo is but he is definitely the most fat one and the second to start going in and out of the nest, however he is very stable on his feet and looks like the toughest out of the bunch.

Kala is unstoppable though and she irritates Milla quite a lot, but there's little she can do about her behavior lol

My vet hasn't responded yet either :(
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

My vet says it's nothing to worry about if she bites them a little
but this went beyond a little bit of biting, she pinned him down the first time and the second time she had her jaws around his neck as she was kicking with her hind legs so...i dunno

They're in the nest now, it's a tall suitcase but they're climbing the walls (just like their mom does everywhere :) ) and Milla is freaking out and knocking each kitten that pops up down like playing wack-a-mole XD
She doesn't seem to do what she did inside the nest but the nest also seems to need cleaning and we're too worried to touch the kittens or nest after what happened.

EDIT: Kala and Casper are both out now, Milla is very gentle with them
Medo and his brother Marco are inside the nest though. She's always been rougher when cleaning Medo, the big brown one but today was bad lol
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Our Henry and Tips came from a rescue with their mum Luna.

We first met them when they were five days old, and would visit a few times a week until we were ready to take Luna and the babies.

I remember visiting a couple of times and be quite alarmed watching Luna doing similar things to the kitten/s - I can't remember if it was just to one?

Pearl from the rescue reassured that it was just a normal part of teaching the kittens how to play and not to get too rough, and also give skills to fight.

If mum wanted to hurt the kittens she would have done it by now I think.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Joe - I've never seen behaviour quite like that but it's true, mother cats do play rough and also get quite bossy about where THEY want the kittens to be. My first Siamese, with her first litter, would get very alarmed if the kittens (at 5/6 weeks) climbed anything. So she'd go and fetch them. Fair enough - but, no matter what the height, she'd pick the kitten up - and drop it! On to a hard floor sometimes! :shock: They took it in their stride but I was a nervous wreck! Kittens must be extremely tough!

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the bed - just do it fast, reassure Milla, but tell her you're the boss and that bed is getting a clean...ohh dear they're a nightmare at this age but lovely to have around! :D
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I'd keep an eye on them, but usually the mother will reject a kitten much earlier than that (before their eyes have opened) and only if she doesn't think the kitten will survive. If she's prepared to let it feed and it does this ok, you are probably ok.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

thanks everyone
Medo is ok but I don't think he left the nest since, she doesn't seem to do that when he is inside tho
He eats a lot too just like his bro Casper. Hopefully all will be well, I just came back from celebrating Christmas with family(our Chirstmas is today :) ) and tbh my mom didn't even want to go since she was so worried about the kittens(she worries even more than I do) but I convinced her to and they are perfectly fine for now.

I hope all is well but I must admit after seeing her behave like this I kinda don't trust Milla as much as I did, never seen her like this before, she is always so gentle even when she roughhouses and plays it's always just her being Milla, this was legit serious **** off Milla o_O
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Truly I wouldn't worry - mother cats can be EVIL when their kittens are first leaving the nest. (Momma don't allow no climbing out round here!) You see a totally different side to them. They've even been known to chew off the kittens' whiskers to make them nervous about exploring :shock:

...just an afterthought - has Medo still got his whiskers... ?