Pooping problem!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Pooping problem!

Post by Willowgill »

Hi - it's been some time since I've been on here having lost my poorly boy just over a year ago but I am at my wits end with this new issue and wondered if anyone has any tips. We still have Alfie (8) and Daphne (5). She was part feral 4 years ago but has for the most part settled down and although she chases Alfie out whenever she's that way inclined he's now brave enough to come straight back in and spends a lot of his time in his basket on top of the worktop or the tumble drier. In fact they seem to take it in turns in that one like the old shift workers sharing a bed :lol: In all this time Daph has slept in my bedroom with me - she has a blanket on the floor, plenty of toys and access to her tray in the en-suite bathroom which Alfie doesn't use. She occasionally gets on the bed and sleeps there although I'm not allowed to touch her - she's still a feisty madam and has claws and teeth she's happy to use at the drop of a hat! In Sept we had to put them in the cattery for 17 days as we went to visit family in NZ - then at the end of Nov we put them in again for 3 nights over a weekend. Since then her toilet habits have become a nightmare. She will happily use the 3 trays downstairs with no problems but at night she's taken to pooping anywhere in the bedroom/bathroom in the middle of the night. Her behaviour is weird - she will suddenly jump on the bed or the locker or dressing table swishing her tail - this is either a sign she's already done it or about to. If' it's too late I'm then on the hunt for it with a torch - under the bed, in the shower, on her blanket, behind the (closed) bedroom door or even behind the dressing table. She's obviously aware she's done wrong as she sits watching me and looking very upset. I don't tell her off as I believe she can't help it. I've added another tray and put that in the bedroom at night leaving the other in the bathroom but she hasn't used it apart from the odd pee although she quite happily pees in either before going to bed - they are both cleaned out after each use so I don't think that's the problem. I'm now blocking the areas she's used with pillows, cushions and dressing gowns before i go to bed but last night she got right under the bed and i had to lay flat out and crawl under to clean it up at 3am. She doesn't really have the runs but it does seem a bit loose at times. I've tried feeding her just on chicken or boiled fish to see if that helped but she still did it. I know the obvious answer is to get her to the vets for a check up but therein lies the other problem. She will not let anyone near her - she even has to have her booster in her carrier and the last time she did need treatment we had to sedate her to do it at a huge cost. This of course means her claws are not clipped so she's pretty scary when she attacks - the vet approaching her with gauntlets on does not help. This morning I've had the bed completely out and cleaned under it then put storage boxes right down the middle leaving just a small area she can get at so will see how we get on tonight. Has anyone experienced this sort of behaviour in their pets and if so is there a solution. I've had cats for over 30 years and never had this before but then I've never had a cat like Daph before! I love her to bits but also need a full night's sleep!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Pooping problem!

Post by lilynmitz »

This does sound like a behavioural issue brought on by stress. As well as health issues, pooping in odd places can be territorial marking, and it seems the kennel stays unhinged her. I put Mitz into kennels a few times and he fur pulled his tummy for the rest of his life, despite me never sending him to kennels again and living in a low stress household.

I would suggest calming strategies at the moment (as well as keeping up with the extra litter trays). The usuals like Feliway, along iwth Zylkene and/or nutracalm would be worth trying, and possibly Bachs Rescue Remedy, and see if that helps.

But it's remotely possible that it is a health issue, so don't discount a vet visit.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Willowgill »

Hi lilynmitz - thanks for your reply. Things got worse the other night when for once she'd actually been in the tray but then got on my pillow and started to be sick - as I was frantically trying to put the light on I was too late so had to clean that up but when I finally got back into bed I realised she'd pee'd on my pillow, down the side of the mattress and on the carpet - bit of a nightmare to say the least! Things calmed down a little after that and last night she finally went in her tray in the bathroom and then after I'd emptied that also pee'd in it so hopefully she's back on track. I do need to get her to the vets though so will try the Bach's remedy to see if it helps - I have some from an attempt to try and calm my old boy Max down during his final months.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

She realy does seem to spook easily, I suspect you suddenly dashing about cleaning up sick etc set off the peeing. Definitely go for calming strategies to start with.Frustrating as it is, do your utmost not to get cross with her when she has theses "accidents" - just stay calm and quietly clean it up, as getting cross will only make her feel more upset (and she won't understand why you're cross).

Make sure her trays are always clean and accessible (you could try putting two in the bedroom, so she can pee in one and poop in the other if she feels the need to do both before you can clean the soiled one out). Hopefully once she's getting back on track you can very gradually reduce the number back to what she could cope with before, but the guidelines are one for each cat and one spare, and located so that the cat has somewhere safe and private to use them.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Willowgill »

yeah she does spook easily which seems to affect her tummy - when I am trying to get her into her cage to go away for the weekend (we take them with us and this is not her vet carrier so she doesn't associate it with a nasty experience) I have to corner her in an area where I leave her with the cage for 5 minutes and she always goes in her tray and poops and pees - very clever of her really - she then gets in the cage on her own albeit with a lot of grumbling and hissing :-) I never tell her off as I believe she must have a history of ill treatment before she came to us and I know it's counter productive anyway as they don't know why they're being punished. I have 5 trays around the house and she is the only one who uses them - she does like to have separate ones for each process. The other thing she will keep doing is using the toilet mat - as soon as I've washed it and put it back I go in and it's all screwed up and wet again. I read yesterday it's due to the rubber backing which some cats find irresistible to pee on - looks like I need to bin that then!! I'm trying the Bachs treatment tonight to see how we get on :-)
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Cats really aren't designed to be moved around too much. This won't help her stress levels. Does she really need to be transported when you go away? She isn't like a dog. This may be making her unwell and stressed too. It sounds like she doesn't need additional and unnecessary stress with going away in a pet carrier. Even if i just take mine to the vet I make sure I leave the pet carrier out so they don't associate it with bad things. I would suggest not taking her on her travels. Cats are quite highly strung creatures and can be quite nervous and sensitive to noise and changes in environment etc.