EU travel with cats?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

EU travel with cats?

Post by brigidrynne »

Hello everyone. It's ages since I last posted, so I'm pleased to still be seeing familiar usernames among regular posters.

This is a really quick question, and one that I dare say that few people will have experience of, but here goes ...

When I joined this forum (the original one), we were permanently resident in France and taking regular trips back to the UK with our two chaps, Tiggy and Foggy. Naturally, they are microchipped and vaccinated against Rabies and their passports are kept in order. Back in the day, in order to enter the UK, we would have to take them to our local vet no less than 24 and no more than 48 hours before boarding the ferry. They would have to be health-checked and treated for fleas and worms, and their passports all stamped up accordingly. Since those days, we have moved to Ireland and our trips to and from France have become considerably less frequent ... and the rules have changed.

Now, it would appear that only dogs need to be treated for tapeworm (no need for flea treatment and it can be done up to 5 days before travel). We will still need to get the cats health-checked and their passports stamped accordingly, but can anyone confirm that we're not going to get held up at the ferry check-in if we don't have a stamp for worm treatment? Is there anyone else here mad enough to travel with their cats?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: EU travel with cats?

Post by bobbys girl »

I would still get it done. There is bound to be some little 'jobsworth' who hasn't read the new rules and you wouldn't want them to spoil your trip.

Heard recently of a guy on a long haul flight who had a stop-over in Russia. He asked if he needed a visa and was told no, as he would not be leaving the terminal. You can guess what happened - he DID need a visa and his whole trip was ruined!

Better safe than sorry. BTW in what part of Ireland do you live? Hope you have not been affected by all the rain!
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by brigidrynne »

bobbys girl wrote:I would still get it done.
Yes, I think I will.

In fact, the government website doesn't even mention a health check any more, but some friends who left here after Christmas certainly took their two before departure. Needless to say, the vet isn't likely to turn away business, although he did tell us last time (2014) that the rules about the flea treatment had changed, as had the time limits. I might ask at the ferry check-in though as, although a quick health check and a worm pill won't do any harm, Tiggy, particularly, is terrified of our French vet (who, I think, hurt him as a kitten, inserting his microchip) and I'd rather not have to put him through it if it isn't necessary for travel.

Oh and, to answer your other question, it's County Clare - on the Wild Atlantic Way! So, yes, it's been quite wet recently. :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We live a few miles inland from the Wild Atlantic Way, It is a beautiful drive and certainly WILD! :D