New cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

New cat

Post by Lallum »

I have two cats (Magic and Midnight). They are from the same litter and 8 years old. They have never got on with each other but share a home by avoiding each other. A friend is moving and can't take her cat (Lola) with her so I have agreed to a short term attempt to see if Lola can fit in with my guys. If she does, she can stay. She arrived today and I've kept her in the living room. She is sitting on the window sill watching the garden. She has been all around the living room and has settle. Lola is however hissing at me whenever I approach. Magic has seen her and expressed her displeasure by having a stand off. Midnight is still asleep in the cupboard under the stairs so unaware he has a visitor. I'm intending to keep them apart until next week but I'm not sure what yo do overnight. I think Lola May have to go into the bathroom with her bed and cat litter. It's warm there as the central heating boiler is in the cupboard. Any ideas how to introduce her? I am ill and not leaving the house so I can spend time sitting with her. My daughter has just cuddled Lola without any problem.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: New cat

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi, have a look at these two links - they give lots of useful advice. You may need a bit longer to let her settle in before introducing her to the others. I'd suggest leaving her in the living room with bedding, water, food and litter tray, as she will probably find this less stressful than being in the bathroom. Don't worry about the hissing - it's a cat's way of saying "I'm a bit anxious so could you keep away please cos I'm not sure what you're about to do. Just give her lots of reassurance, and let her settle in in her own time. It's best not to rush these things, or expect too much of them. Give your own cats lots of reassurance as well and try to keep their routines and your relationship with them as normal as possible. They've all got a lot of adjusting to do!

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html

http://www.catchat.org/bonding.html
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

Thanks for the links. Lola is still sitting in the window behind the curtains. I have given her some food and she has nibbled. She managed to get out of the living room and met Midnight. She shrieked and ran back to the window. My daughter has been stroking her and talking to her without any problems. She has hissed at me and tried to jump attack me. I'm sitting watching tv in the living room and she's sitting in the window. The next few days will tell if they can live together. I'm really worried that her owner will have her put down. She's a lovely white/ marmalade cat who has been a house cat but I think wants to be a hunter/ gatherer like Magic! She's 18 months old and looks very intelligent.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Just give her plenty of time and space to settle down. Don't rush things. She's very confused right now, and has no idea where she is, or why she's not In her old home, but they do settle in eventually. Just don't prejudge how it will turn out, as we're usually wrong! That's cats for you.... My various adoptees usually keep coming out of their shells and showing their true personality over several months, if not longer, as they continue t settle in and grow in confidence.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Elsa's prime real estate until Crystal moved to the Rainbow Bridge was the dining room table where she still eats her Renal RC. It was ages before she was comfortable moving to my bed. And as Mayday had only 3 legs as she got older I was worried about her jumping from the bed at night I moved her to her hutch beside me. For a while before this she slept on my right & Elsa on my left but down towards my feet. Vivian