Blocked Urethra / proposed PU

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Missy
New Cat Chatter

Blocked Urethra / proposed PU

Post by Missy »

Hi there,

My cat has been unwell recently. He spent a week in the vet and a week at the Royal Veterinary College with a blocked Urethra. They thought it was due to stones but in fact his urethra spasms making him unable to wee or unable to do a decent 'productive' wee.

He came home from the RVC on Wednesday night. Whilst in the RVC he didn't wee at all cos he wasn't in his home environment. However, altho he has been wee'ing, he hasn't been wee'ing properly. It's been bits here and there. Sometimes he doesn't realise he has wee'd and you can tell he is frustrated. Its only when he realises he has wee's, and he covers it up, he seems happier and content that he wee'd. The vet at the RVC is not happy about his wee'ing at the moment and a PU is looming - PU is basically removing the narrowest part of the urethra so the spasms do not stop him from wee'ing. As he is a boy, his willy will be removed :(

I'm desperate to speak to anyone who has gone through the same thing.

Many thanks :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blocked Urethra / proposed PU

Post by Kay »

I have no experience, thankfully, but have you done a thorough google? there is a lot of stuff on the internet about blockages and PU surgery, including a fair number of personal experiences which may be helpful - if you can find a Yahoo support group that could be particularly useful, as I do have experience of how good these can be

bottom line seems to be that recovery from a PU is quicker when the op is done in a non-emergency situation, and that post PU blockages can recur, but the new plumbing can be cleaned out regularly to keep the cat comfortable
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

My cousin in NZ recently had her cat, Moet, operated on for a blockage, but in his case, it was stones. All I know is that the surgery was a complete success and saved his life. Her own vet couldn't do anything and said he would PTS. She took him to a veterinary hospital in South Island and he was operated on next day and has been fine since.

I'm pretty sure Helen's (Crewella) cat, Daz had similar surgery - no doubt she will see your post.

This bit is me just thinking aloud. Is there a med they can give you in the meantime, like Buscopan? - I know it relaxes smooth muscle, ie the gut, bladder etc http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/artic ... copan.html

The photo is of Moet a few days after his surgery
Attachments
moet.jpg
(91.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Missy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Missy »

Thank you so much for your replies. Btw what a beautiful girl !

Yes, I have google alot over the past week about PU's but all the stories I have read are either from professional sites (so no personal experiences) or from here which dated from 2014.

He has been in wars alot. He has had a catheter for days at a time and during that time, and now at home, he is on anti biotics and hypervase being a muscle relaxant. I am also giving him zylkene to relax him.

As I said, when he was in the vet, he didn't wee at all. When he got home he was straight into the tray but doing very small and extremely frequent wees. For example, yesterday, he got up at 16.34 and he was squatting everywhere at : 16.38, 16.39, 16.46, 16.52, 17.01, 17.08, 17.09, 17.13, 17.17, 17.24.

I spoke to the Royal Veterinary College yesterday who said this didn't sound great and she was worried that he will block again. He is eating but not eating much. He isn't a happy boy and it destroys me to see him like this.

From the work he had at the vet and now the RVS, I only have about £1,200 left on the insurance. I will be getting a loan out to cover the op as I believe it is around £1 or 2k.

Thankfully neither vet has suggested pts. I am thinking what if i put him through this surgery and it still doesn't work and then have to pts. Is it more cruel to have him go through the pain of surgery ? I have read that the surgery is less than 50%. The RVC have said that they don't know where in his urethra he is spasming so its a huge risk to have him go through surgery if the spasm isn't happening at the end of the urethra.

I just ... im exhausted. I can't sleep, I am constantly worried and in tears. Even now he has got up and is squatting next to me. :( Just need a magic wand.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by pandorawarlord »

this sounds just what happened to one of my rescue cats recently ( have e-mailed you)
Missy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Missy »

Thanks very much for your email Pandora :)
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

Hi!

Midnight had the surgery in January 2015. He had been very seriously ill and I had struggled to come to terms with what was happening. I was totally heart broken. On the day of the operation I cried buckets and felt it was the end. He came out of surgery and apart from 2 minor relapses, he has not had cystitis.

The fur took almost 6 months to grow back and he wore fleece trousers to keep him warm! He now has Hills prescription cd food and I give him two extra syringes of water each day. I monitor the cat litter to make sure theres no blood or days without wee.

It was very strange at first and it took a while to realise he was going to be ok but he is and I am so grateful to the vets who were superb.

Sheila
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Our male cat had crystals in his urine. It happens in male cats who obviously have a narrower urethra than female cats. He was very poorly until the vet rectified the problem. It is known to happen in larger cats with little or no exercise. Our cat suffered with it when we had to shut him indoors for a few months whilst we were renting near a busy road. The vet said to put him on a different diet to stop these crystals forming. He was fine with the right treatment but had to remain on a special diet indefinately to avoid this happening again.