Garlic Pills for repelling fleas. Advice pls

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
snootycow
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Garlic Pills for repelling fleas. Advice pls

Post by snootycow »

I'm having real trouble getting rid of the fleas on my two longhairs.
Has anyone tried Garlic tablets? If so, do they make any difference?

I'm at my wits end and sick of the sound of the vacuum cleaner and washing machine now lol
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Garlic Pills for repelling fleas. Advice pls

Post by meriad »

Garlic can be toxic to cats, so I'd actually avoid that.

What have you tried so far

for the house use Indorex, put a flea collar into the vacuum bag to stop any eggs from hatching, wash cat bedding and put it away (in an airtight bag again with one or two flea collars in the bag) until you've got the flea problem sorted and in the meantime use only towels that can be washed daily.

for the cats, what have you used so far? Chances are that as your cats are long haired the stuff in the pipette's isn't quite getting right to the skin so not doing what it's meant to. Speak to the vet about alternatives such as the programme injection.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I know you've said you're already vacuuming and washing loads, but it really is the only way.... what temp are you washing at? It needs to be hot
snootycow
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by snootycow »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Firstly, both kitties have been treated religiously every 4 weeks with Frontline combo. We've sprayed all the carpets/furnishings in the house with Staykil plus spray (and again at intervals with another aerosol)
I washed their bed and put it away. Removed their toys. Change our bedding once a week. Flea comb them both daily. Even bought a new superduper vacuum!

I just happened to come across Garlic pills for cats while browsing cat sfuff on ebay and wondered if it's any good, I wonder why they sell it for cats if it can be toxic!?

Next on the list is get someone in to professionally spray the house but I need to co-ordinate it well, there's no point doing that the Frontline is not doing it's job correctly, it is difficult to get to the skin on a longhair as you say. Does anyone else have experience of Frontline not being very good? Was thinking about asking the vet for a different brand?? Or the injection you mentioned might be they way to go for a one-off while we get it under control, what's it like cost-wise in comparison to the Frontline?
snootycow
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by snootycow »

The towels i'm using as bedding all get washed at 90degrees :)
snootycow
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by snootycow »

Oh, we also got a steam mop!

Anyone out there use Stronghold rather than Frontline?