Cat uses placemat as a toilet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
yawny1
New Cat Chatter

Cat uses placemat as a toilet

Post by yawny1 »

Hi I have 4 male cats, two sets of brothers, two age 5 and two age 11 months, one of my little ones keeps pooing next to his food dish on the placemat. I have two litter trays available for him and his brother to use (the big boys never use them) he will use the litter tray and also the garden but he won't stop using his placemat, I've never encountered this before any ideas??? Thanks so much
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Cat uses placemat as a toilet

Post by Jacks »

It's odd and counter-intuitive behaviour but I suspect he's trying to make a statement that 'this is my food source, keep off' - which suggests you've got a bit of territorial or dominance rivalry going on there. I would suggest the first thing is to take some detailed interest in what's going on between the boys - I presume they've all been neutered? Is it one of the 5 year olds or an 11 month old kitten who is doing this?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, this is an odd one, but most likely to do with territorial behaviour. Does the perpetrator get bullied, or chased off his food? If so, it might be worth feeding him separately for a while, so he at least gets a bit of peace and quiet while he's eating after it's first put down, even if they do eventually pinch each other's food later.

On a slightly different tack, make sure you have enough litter trays, and that they're thoroughly clean. Some cats won't use a soiled litter tray, so don't give him an excuse not to use it!
yawny1
New Cat Chatter

Post by yawny1 »

Yes it's one of the 11 month olds that is doing it. I guess I didn't really think of the implications when I introduced two more boys into the house, I was overcome with kitten cuteness!!! But I will try your suggestions, thanks so much for your help >^..^<