Fip :(

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Fip :(

Post by Meandmymunki »

Has anyone on here got experience of really high corona virus titre tests on a cat displaying symptoms of being unwell but not deathly ill, and have they gone on to develop fip?
Poor skippy and roo were found in a black sack badly beaten at Christmas, they had dreadful injuries, and skippy had to have his back leg removed, roo his tail removed and roo also has burns to his ears and whiskers. Roo has neurological symptoms and seizures, both have bilateral cataracts :(
Skippy was dreadfully poorly a week after his leg removal with a really high temperature and high white blood cell count and high bilirubin. He spent a week on a drip and has recovered now.
Today we got the fip titre results back and they are sky high - what should be 3200 or under is 10240.
But they are ok in themselves at the moment so I'm hoping results can be high but the cats be ok still?
Thanks.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Fip :(

Post by booktigger »

There was someone on the old forum who's cat had high titres, and made a full recovery, I cant' remember how long it was till she was re-tested - they could have it with one having neurological issues, although hard to say if they are FIP related, or the abuse they have suffered. Hopefully they don't, they have had enough in their short lives, poor things.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Poor cats - sick 'people' :evil:

I can't remember what the numbers were (not sure if I was even told) but we had a Siamese once with very high titre that hadn't developed FIP. Brigid at Siamese rescue in Bromley offered to take her. She told me that the cat would be put in isolation for 6 months and that avoiding stress was important.

I remember hearing later that the cat ended up being rehomed.

Sorry I don't have any knowledge or other experience with it

I guess you have already looked at Diane Addie's site? http://www.dr-addie.com/
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Thanks Mark and Booktigger!
Most sites incl Dr Addie seem to suggest titres that high mean the cat has 94% chance of full blown fip, but there is still a lot of doubt, I'm also really worried because they were so injured when they arrived that after 10 days isolation I integrated them with my 5 cats so I've also subjected them to really high Corona levels, I know fip isn't contagious but corona is.....
I just thought they were abuse cases and wasn't expecting the stuff that followed....
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed they don't have it
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Sorry, I have no experience. All paws here crossed though. xx
Cuddles
New Cat Chatter

Post by Cuddles »

My tabby/siamese mix whose name is Bee is 8 years old. She has had FIP for over two years and I have learned through trial and error methods how to manage it. Whenever she displays symptoms I put one drop of Tobramycin and Dexamethasone Ophthalmic suspension into her eyes every 6 hours for 7 days. By the 2nd to third day of treatment her fever will go away and by the third to 5th day into the treatment her bloated stomach will shrink back to normal and diarrhea will clear up. So by day 5, at least, her symptoms are gone. I continue the drops in eyes until day 7. She always makes a full recovery this way. Other things that help are making sure her diet is diverse and healthy, lots of love, and minimizing stress. The biggest tip is to start treatment over again when you notice the symptoms coming on. Waiting too long to treat may result in the cat becoming to sick to recover. Hope this helps someone. Blessings.