weight issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

weight issues

Post by Joanne_ »

Teds a bit of a chubster (6.3kg in Dec) Vet wasn't overly concerned as she said hes a big cat. But he not exactly staying at any weight just getting bigger and I would like to get him down to 5.5 if possible. Now I have looked at the light cat foods but wondered if anyone knows if they are actually any good for them? or are they like human 'healthy' foods that are just loaded with added chemicals? I think Teds main issue is he is not the most active cat. I would not say he ate much either- usually one pouch a day and a handful of biscuits.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: weight issues

Post by alanc »

My neighbor who had two very chubby cats uses "Hills Prescription Diet - Metabolic - Advanced Weight Solution -
Weight loss - Weight maintenance". Comes in a green and gold package and she buys it in bulk from her vets (they do a buy 5 get one free). Tay and Toto are still chubby, but you can now see their waists again, so it definitely works!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I have fed my chubster, Daz, on reduced calorie foods, but in my experience the best results have come from reducing the amount of dry food he gets and feeding more wet - the dry is much more calorific. Daz is still a big cat, but now around 5.5kg instead of 6.5! :D
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

Ted is obsessed with biscuits lol. I have tried reducing them so hoping that and his tin off applaws a day helps
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

What about getting a treat ball and putting the biscuits in them so he actually has to work for his food?

My Ava - admittedly a Norwegian Forest so a big breed cat - is also on the chunky side and I don't think she eats nearly as much as the others. I do think that some cats, same as humasn, just are heavier than others. One of my others Harry - also NFC - is about a kg lighter than her and he eats more...
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

For cats that wolf their food down, I wonder if something like this might help. Could get quite messy with wet food though :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slow-Feeder-Ant ... XPJGQARFED