High cholesterol

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

High cholesterol

Post by Catfan5 »

Beaker, our big fluffy ragdoll- cross has high cholesterol. He is 8 years old, weighs 6kg and recently has been a bit off colour. He sleeps more than usual and has been a bit loose over the last couple of days. His blood test shows he is all fine except for the cholesterol which is 8.9 The vet said Beaker needs to lose weight even though he's a big boned cat, and prescribed antibiotics for him and see how he does for a few days. Although the vet is not worried, I am. She thinks it's probably weight related So diet wise he eats high life wet and jwb dry. What would be best or better for him to eat to help lower the cholesterol? He likes wet food best. He'll be having white fish for a day or two to help his tummy settle. He's not interested in playing ie chasing and jumping around, just sleeping. If anyone else has had a cat with this problem can you tell me how I can help him back to normal levels!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: High cholesterol

Post by meriad »

Do you know, I never knew cats could get high cholesterol. Admittedly no reason why they shouldn't but it's the first time i've heard of it.

What does the vet say about diet?

My gut would tell me to change the wet food to a lower meat content complete food as I'm assuming that same as with us humans and that most raised cholesterol levels are caused by either saturated or trans fats. Saturated from animal and trasn from fried foods.... hmmmm (tell Beaker to lay off the crisps and fries! :lol: )

Then to aid with the weight loss maybe cut down on the dry food and increase the wet food?

Very interesting one
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

hmmmm (tell Beaker to lay off the crisps and fries! :lol: ) Lol Ria! I'd never heard of it either, bit of a shock really. No advice from the vet except for Beaker to lose weight. I couldn't find any useful info on it though and I don't understand all the medical jargon! I've got a copy of the blood results and the vet wasn't worried about the slightly raised protein, or the low gamma gt or the low LYM- but I don't know what that means for Beaker. Feeling a bit dim but it's another language to me! Regarding food, Beaker and his sister love Thrive freeze dried chicken chunks which they have every day, just as treats. Just wondering if it's too much protein? Hmmm low meat wet food, two of the other cats like agail, wonder if it would be suitable? :?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm very wary of demonising cholesterol. We need it as a lubricant and our brains are full of it. If it was SO bad for us our bodies wouldn't make it.

Fat doesn't make you fat - eating too much does (and carbohydrates and no exercise)

Is your little fatty cat like my Gracie? She empties her own bowl AND everyone else's then crashes out on the sofa for the day. Bob has a healthy appetite but he runs everywhere and is a sleek tube of muscle.

I think Ria is right, JWB dry is 33% protein, Felix senior is 12% protein. Perhaps smaller meals with less protein is the way to go.

The very best of luck with that - we are failing dismally with Grace. :roll:
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks bobbys girl. Our PG sounds more like your Gracie! Still in 'stray mode' even after a year! Will be cutting right down on the dry anyway with all of the cats though. I would like to see beakers cholesterol down to the normal range.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

bobbys girl wrote:Is your little fatty cat like my Gracie? She empties her own bowl AND everyone else's
You could fix that by using microchip feeders, which cover the bowl except when a specific cat is eating. Pricey, though, if you have several cats.

I just bought two for my recent adoptees. One, I think, might readily put on weight, while the other is rather slender and I don't want her getting any thinner. This lets me keep track of who is eating what - and there will be another advantage in summer, because it will keep flies off the food.

Mary
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Blimey - I'd never heard of high cholesterol in cats either! Less food has always been what i've done with overweight cats ..... and making sure they can't steal food off the other cats!
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

I can find very little regarding cholesterol levels in cats except to say it can be a symptom of some underlying condition. I'm not convinced he is overweight either, at 6 kg he is probably the right weight for a raggy/wegie. I'm cutting down on the dry food though and hoping they will all eat more wet instead. I would love to have sure-feeders, a good idea for my greedy overweight stray and little cat who needs to eat more, but a bit too pricey though.