Poorly Feral Cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
twotrotters
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Poorly Feral Cat

Post by twotrotters »

One of our feral cats,CHARLIE is not himself at the moment.
Last Wednesday he disappeared after eating in the evening,and we didn't see him until Sat morning ! ( he's done this before once or twice). His brother CHARCOAL was missing him and looking a bit sad. Anyway Sat he (Charlie) was back and all seemed well, however Sunday he was looking and acting in very lethargic manner , and Monday he was still the same and after eating about 4/4.30pm he went into their "kennel", ( we got this for them,to provide some protection from winter weather, which they use fairly frequently), and stayed in there all night until about 7.00am( this was unusual, although Monday was a really rubbish day with the wind and rain really bad,) this morning when brother Charcoal came knocking for breakfast, Charlie came out of the kennel and had some food, but seemed very uninterested, wandered off for about 10/15 minutes then came back to the "kennel" and went back to sleep until about 10ish and now has just wandered out to sit in the rare sunshine. However he is still very lethargic and uninterested generally . If he gets worse perhaps he would allow us to pick him up and take to the local vet. That would be a first , allowing ;) us to pick him up ! but maybe if he's not well, he might not mind. He doesn't appear to have anything physically wrong, albeit he's not running about, just moping really . Not sure what to do with him, if anything ? Maybe he ate or drank something nasty whilst being AWOL last week ! Any suggestions welcomed, as we don't like to see them down really. it's taken a couple of years to get them fairly close, so we don't want to lose them or suffering now.
Cheers Twotrotters
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Poorly Feral Cat

Post by meriad »

is there any way you could trap him and get him to a vet - sounds like he really needs to be seen by one poor boy.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

I would agree that the little one needs to see a vet as soon as possible. Perhaps your local cat rescue could lend you a trap although some vets have one or at least should know who would loan you one. Please let us know how you get on.
twotrotters
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Poorly Feral Cat / Update TUES PM

Post by twotrotters »

Charlie dose seem a little more with it at the moment, and has had food and drink, so not quite as worried as we were, but nonetheless we'll keep a close eye on him and see what Wednesday morning brings ? He's interacting better with his brother Charcoal now, so definitely more interested than he was, so fingers crossed he'll buck up. Anyway thanks for the feed back. will post tomorrow or Thursday with update.
Cheers Twotrotters
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

fingers crossed Charlie is better. May be an idea to speak to your vet or local rescues in the meantime regarding borrowing a trap, in case it is needed in future - at least then you'd know who to contact and they know about you which would speed things up :)

good luck and here's hoping for a good news update when you get a chance
twotrotters
Returning Cat Chatter

POORLY FERAL CAT

Post by twotrotters »

Charlie seems to be getting back to normal, whatever normal is ! He disappeared last night after honoring us with his company in our lounge for an hour or two, but that means we have to have the patio door open about 5/6 inches, to enable his fast escape if we move to fast or something. I might say that with the chill wind that was blowing last night, it doesn't do our own body temperatures, or our bloody gas bill much good. But at least Charlie and his brother seem to like watching the telly, ( while we shiver !), roll on summer !! Today Charlie, although moving much slower than usual has spent most of today soaking up as much vitamin D as possible from the sun, which has been very pleasant. They've both eaten and are off wandering again now, until later when they'll probably be back for some telly, and and allow us some more chill and heat loss !
Cheers Twotrotters
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: POORLY FERAL CAT

Post by meriad »

Thanks for the update and glad to hear Charlie seems to be doing better.

Do have to laugh at your open door though - not quite as bad, but one of my cats has not yet mastered the art of the cat flap (I've had him for over 2 years now!), so I have two cat flaps permanently propped open, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom window - just so he can come and go into the back and front gardens as and when he pleases. As you say - the wind chill this year has been quite something.

what we don't do for the furries creatures that rule our lives :D
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: POORLY FERAL CAT

Post by lilynmitz »

Crikey you lot really are devoted! What lucky puss cats they are for you to prefer shivering to them being slightly inconvenienced! :lol:
twotrotters
Returning Cat Chatter

POORLY FERAL CAT/ Twotrotters/ FORUM

Post by twotrotters »

Just to let anyone know, who maybe interested, Charlie seems to be back to his old self, along with brother Charcoal, a lot of head head butting and tail wrapping, I suppose they all do something similar ? However we're glad to see them back to their old ways, and generally having good time, and coming and going whenever they want for the food and drink etc. Lets hope they remain in good health, and if anybody has any suggestions of how or what to give them, regarding vitamins, worm or flee treatment, then we would be pleased to hear, If indeed its needed or even possible with wild boys !!!
Cheers Twotrotters
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi, glad Charlie's better :D

It's doubly worrying when they're poorly but not handleable...as for fleas and worms I believe the only alternative to the 'spot-on' stuff is an injection - which of course would mean trapping and vet's. I don't think a cat getting a good substantial diet needs extra vitamins though, unless some sort of disorder indicates it.

Lol your story about the TV viewing made me shiver! I've only ever done that once, leave the door open all evening for the cats (who were very pleased about the extra freedom) and that was 9 years ago during the winter of the hot flushes...saved a mint on heating bills! :lol:
twotrotters
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by twotrotters »

Charlie and Charcoal are both in good health now it seems, as the latest idea is to wake us up about 6.30am by coming around to the front of the house to enable the automatic lights to come on ! The little sods are no so stupid, now they seem to know that we're in bed and they are waiting for breakfast, whereas they used to wait patiently for the kitchen light to go on. So it seems they've got it sussed, "let's wake the old **** up as it's time to eat" , and we, being a bit dull, jump to attention and open the door to welcome them in. Maybe they'll want a menu next ? If I can find out how to add it, I'll attach a photo of these cheeky boys soon.
Cheers Twotrotters
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Twotrotters I needed a laugh. As you know dogs have masters & cats ... Starts with an s! :lol: Vivian
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

they do have you well trained, don't they :lol:
Loving the update and so glad to hear they're both doing well