Cats nose bleeding?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cats nose bleeding?

Post by Joanne_ »

Teds right nose started bleeding last August. Not a heavy bleed at all but the dried blood was always up his nose. Of course when I googled it all sorts of horrible things show up like cancer... At the time I took him to the vet and she just said if it was the same a week later to investigate. It cleared up though and he had zero issues but then last week it started again... Any idea what this could be?? Maybe I am imagining it but he seems to squint his right eye a bit too and he has been sneezing. I want to take him back to the vets but my parents just keeping saying no and that he is okay in himself:\ But I think he needs checking? opinions?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cats nose bleeding?

Post by lilynmitz »

A cat being "ok in himself" is no indicator if anything. My boy Mo was climbing trees the day before he died of cancer. Cats are programmed not to show illness, as it makes them vulnerable to predators/rivals. It's up to us vigilant owners to spot minor changes like this (although this doesn't sound minor to me), and if he was mine I'd definitely be getting him checked out by the vet. The sooner these things are caught, the quicker they can be treated,whatever it turns out to be, and the better the outcome. With Mo it was only because I persisted with the vet, who thought he looked fine, that she finally did blood test to placate me, we found a liver problem, which turned out to be the cancer that ended his life. So go with your instincts. It may just be something minor, but you won't know till you've had him checked.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I agree with Anna. Something is obviously wrong. Tell your parents to face up to the responsibilities of having a pet - it includes proper care. I know you are concerned, but they really need us to look out for them.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Thank guys I showed my mum this post and she didn't say anything:\ I hate being in these situation where I want to do something but I am powerless to because they are the people with money...
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Took Ted to vets finally. She gave him an anti inflammatory and said to check that the blood in his nose is blood by wetting a tissue when I wipe his nose as she said it could be dirt, but I highlighted that it is the same side each time which she said was odd and just said to take him back if it doesn't clear up and he will need an xray.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

That's great news that someone's had a look at it. Pleased to hear she's not too worried at the moment, but I know you'll keep a careful eye on the little fella. Hope the anti-inflammatory does the job. Keep us posted.