Cat with small strange patches on skin

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kikimeows
Returning Cat Chatter

Cat with small strange patches on skin

Post by Kikimeows »

Hi,

My cat have a few small rough patches on her chest and under her right front leg. I combed one of the patches off during her daily grooming today (pic attached).
IMG_0599.jpg
(108.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Does anyone knows what is this? Do I need to bring her to the vet? She is behaving and eating as usual and is an indoor cat. She is less than 3 yrs old.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat with small strange patches on skin

Post by Kay »

are the yellowy bits part of her fur? or, if she goes outside, could the yellow bits be from a bush or other plant?

are the lumps dense like felt, in which case they could be matted fur
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Often photo's aren't detailed enough. These are perhaps a little too detailed :? . Could you post some showing more of your cat, more general, so we can see them in context. It does look like matted fur, but why it's matted I can't tell from the photo.
Kikimeows
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Kikimeows »

Oops sorry for being too detailed with the photo, I was thinking it may be easier to diagnose with the details :oops:

This is a photo of my cat
kiki.jpg
kiki.jpg (84.42 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
She is an indoor cat, so she does not go out except to the groomer and vet in a carrier. And there is no matted fur either.

I have taken a photo of the patches on her skin (not sure if this will be clear because she kept moving)
kiki_patch.jpg
kiki_patch.jpg (88.84 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
The fur around the patches is short because we cut it to see the problem better. It is not caused by the patches. Our first feel is scabs. She might have slightly injured herself while playing at night. I am not sure because she is my first cat and I have not encountered this before but they look like scabs we have when we injure ourselves.

Thanks for your help!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

what a beauty, even with scabs

I would suspect some kind of allergic reaction, which could be to something in her food, or some household product she has come in contact with

such reactions are quite common in cats, and can be difficult to nail down, but the location of these scabs suggest household product to me - have a think about what it might be - something you use for laundry, perhaps, or for cleaning?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

It looks a little like ringworm, although I haven't seen that in cat before, and it's hard to see how she could have picked it up, unless from a lapse in hygiene at the vets or groomers. Ringworm, despite the name, is not a worm, it's a contagious fungus infection which causes hair to fall out in small circular patches. It can be passed to humans, so as a precaution, I'd recommend washing your hands thoroughly after handling her, and disinfecting your grooming tools. A vet would have some specific tests to either confirm ringworm, or to say that is definitely not the cause.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd very much doubt ringworm, they look more like scabs. When was she last at the groomer?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think they do look like scabs. I have seen something very similar on our cats. With ours the cause was ticks, but that won't be the case with your cat. BTW she is gorgeous, what a little sweetie.
Kikimeows
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Kikimeows »

She was at the groomer about 2 weeks ago. I think this just happen about 2 days ago. A few of the patches are at the location where I will touch her daily during grooming and I only felt the hard lumps 2 days ago.

I just checked tried to check, she doesn't seem to have bald patches. In fact, she got so much fur around the patches that we have to cut the fur to see the problem properly.

We have been mostly using the same household products ever since we got her. We did use a new disinfectant for the tables last week though, I am suspecting that now. I think we will stop using that and monitor.

Because they look like scabs, I have been applying a little of Nova Antiseptic solution on the patches. Is that correct? Or should I just leave it and they will recover eventually?

Thanks for the help and compliments! :D :D
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

We had this type of thing recently with our cat who is short haired so it was easier to spot.

I wouldn't worry too much unless she's changed her eating, drinking or toilet habits dramatically lately. Or is less active than normal. It's probably an allergy but if you see increased scabbing over the week I'd retrace your steps to 2 weeks prior and find out if you changed anything in the house. Just a simple thing like dish soap or laundry detergent will set a cat off.

If she's happy in herself I wouldn't rush to the vet like I did.
Kikimeows
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Kikimeows »

Yes, she is behaving as normal. I suspect it is probably the new table cleaner I have used recently. She does secretly go up the dining table when we are not looking (we do not allow her on it for hygiene purposes). I will stop using that and monitor the situation :)

Thanks a lot for your advice everyone! :D :D
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Ah that's probably it then! Just make sure she's happy and only use the cleaner when guests are coming over ;) (I get you, we have a dining room table that our cat isn't supposed to be on either. But when I come home in the evening I always see the tell tale signs of fur and paw marks. :roll: