Cat of wet food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Monty
New Cat Chatter

Cat of wet food

Post by Monty »

Hi, l have only had a cat for 5 months she is 5 years old. When l got her l was told she ate Felix as good as it looks with James Wellbeloved dry food. Everything was fine till earlier this week when l noticed she was only licking the jelly of the wet food and leaving the solid food. She eats the dry food and titbits of dry cat snacks like dreamies. This has led me to believe that her teeth can't be the problem. Also l bought her some different pouches and again she only licked the jelly. Should l be worried as taking her to a vet isn't straight forward for me as l am disabled. And would have to arrange for her to see the vet. This is my first cat and she is my companion.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat of wet food

Post by Kay »

It's not unusual for a cat to lick off the jelly or gravy and then reject the lumps - if I put down Felix for my two I know I would find a dish of dried boulders in the morning

Try mashing it up with a fork so it"s all the same consistency and see if she eats it then

Or do what I do and feed only pate type wet food like Gourmet Gold
Monty
New Cat Chatter

Post by Monty »

Thanks for your reply, l will try your suggestion about feeding her a pate type food, l'm not to worried about her because the dry food is always eaten. Which in its self is a complete meal.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

If our lot are anything to go by, pet food manufacturers are missing a trick NOT selling gravy/jelly only. Cats often just lick the jelly off and leave the rest. Mine love JWB too. I have to limit what I give them cos they'd guzzle the lot in one go!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

One thing worth trying is mashing the food with a fork, although if you think your cat might need a vet, it is hard for anyone else to judge. Cats are very good at hiding pain. Maybe someone can help you manage a vet trip. I think it is always a good idea for a cat to have a check up at least once a year anyway -usually when they have their vaccinations.

PS - I just saw that Kay has already mentioned mashing the food. I f you haven't tried it already, Classic canned food is very good quality and also a good price. it has lots of jelly in.

James Wellbeloved is excellent food. so as long as she is getting plenty of water, she should be fine. my old girl Kylie (almost 17) is munching through a bowl of JWB senior turkey as I type :)
Last edited by MarkB on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. Most of my cats have just licked the jelly and gravy of foods they can. Some cat foods have little squares of solid food with jelly on the outside and I know for a fact when I dish it up all the squares will be left. I always mush any food like that with a fork but they still tend not to eat much. I generally find the pouches work best as most of them have pieces/slithers of soft meat without the jelly, but must taste better, such as whiskers pouches or gourmet pouches or pates. Like Mark says, tins of classic are good too I’ve just fed mine some of that and mushed the jelly in (which they seem to love). I’d also let the vet just check her over.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Just to reasure you my cat also only eats the jelly. Félix good as it gets. Ive tried mashing the bits but no luck he still just devours all the jelly. I usualy give him gourmet pate but now and then I like to give him a change. He has no problem eating his dry food or his treats but I think he just loves the jelly. And myself I think that's fine. His bowels etc are fine. We really do pamper our pets don't we. When you think how some cats just get a cheap tin of cat food a day and do perfectly fine. Another thing is I tend to have both gourmet and Félix in and alternate it each night or two.
Monty
New Cat Chatter

Post by Monty »

Thanks to all of you for your advice, will see if she eats a different wet food if not l will get her to the vet. Never owned a cat before always had dogs in the past.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I think a variety of foods is a good idea, my cat and the ferals get an assortment as I’m sure they get bored otherwise and go off them. You will find out which your little kitty likes best and can swap those about. Let us know how you get on.