Cat with kittens behavoir

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
braven5
New Cat Chatter

Cat with kittens behavoir

Post by braven5 »

yesterday our cat had kittens, so they just over a day old, and suprisingly our cat has been very trusting of us, we helped her carfully when giving birth, handled kitten so they didn't get hurt from being led on, and no issue.... day later whenever kittens are settled down she come to us for affectionate attention, she lets us watch the kittens while she eats, and purrs.

All in all gives impression she trusts us a lot, so it was suprising when literally few mins ago, when nobody even near the nest at all, cat just pops our start rolling around on floor and snarling and growling like crazy for no know logical reason.

After a min she then just goes back in the nest and settles down even tho nothing changed.

Not sure if cat trying tell us something, but since the mad episode all is well again.

Anyone any idea's what could trigger such a weird outburst considering all the above?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Cat with kittens behavoir

Post by Jacks »

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with cats having kittens - I wonder if she was in pain for a a moment? My cat growls and snarls sometimes when I pick her up if she thinks I'm going to take her near her hated rival (long story). It's more a reflex than anything deliberate as they are generally signs of fear.

It does seem odd, but if she's back to normal now and it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure she has food and water and I would imagine leave her to her own devices as much as possible at this early stage. It she stops eating or seems unwell I would contact the vet and ask for advice.

Hope mum and babies have a peaceful night.
braven5
New Cat Chatter

Post by braven5 »

yea she been fine since, she back to craving for attention again, maybe she was just stressed with kitten hassling her too much and she was crying for a break lol

Kinda have to keep her area covered tho, because every time she see me she come for attention even if the kittens are trying to feed at the time.

just found it odd she had a mad moment.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Good luck with your new arrivals! My late cat Mischa came to have her kits on my mum's bed at midnight when she was 11 months old - and she wasn't even our cat at the time (she belonged to a neighbour!). She was also so trusting and we could handle her babies as much as we wanted, but she never had a funny turn like that though. I'd just keep an eye on things over the next few days and maybe contact your Vet if it happens again?

Please give mum and family a fuss from me, and please keep us all updated on their progress.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Are you sure all the kittens have been born? Just a thought that there may be another. I've had 2 cats give birth many years ago - one in our bed when I delivered one baby which was stuck and then that one gave birth under the sink a couple of years later. I don't remember either having the strange behaviour though. if it happens again maybe a vet check up would be a good idea.