Has my cat had a stroke? Now Renal Failure.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Has my cat had a stroke? Now Renal Failure.

Post by geckodiva »

My 19 year old girl Pudding takes fortekor for a heart murmur, felimazole for hyperthyroidism and loxicom for arthritis. She has been stable with regards to heart and thyroid problems, she struggles this time of year with her arthritis. She permanently wobbles about and is fairly inactive because of this.
Yesterday morning she ate breakfast as normal then went to sleep in her heated bed. At lunch time she wouldn't eat and was having real trouble standing up on her back legs. We took her to the vet in the afternoon and they gave her gabapentin for additional pain relief for the arthritis.
She hasn't eaten or drunk anything for 24 hrs now, although I have syringed some liquid into her mouth. And now she can hardly stand. Usually when she sleeps she is dead to the world but now she is lying there with her eyes open and making little sighing noises. Also when she is in pain from arthritis she comes and tells us and she doesn't like being touched around the hips. She isn't doing this so that is why I don't think it is a pain issue. I don't think she has been to the toilet, and she isn't being sick.
I can't make it to the vet until tomorrow so was just wondering what could possibly be wrong with her. Very worried.
Last edited by geckodiva on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Has my cat had a stroke?

Post by GillianH »

So sorry to hear this. Poor Pudding. Can you try phoning the vets if you can't make it there today?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'd ring your vets for advice, it could be the gabapentin.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

Waiting for a vet to phone back this afternoon. She has an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. At the very least she will need re hydrating by then.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Any update on Pudding? Fusses Vivian
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

She continued to deteriorate yesterday and overnight. She Is currently with the vet for fluids and testing. The prognosis doesn't look good to be honest. The vet suggested some kind of renal failure rather than stroke. She had blood test in January and there was nothing out of the ordinary. So although she is old and with ailments this has come on suddenly and so is a bit of a shock.
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillianH »

So sorry to hear this. A diagnosis at any age can be very distressing, so with Pudding being 19 I can imagine you must be very shocked indeed. Thinking of you, and Pudding too.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this - sadly hyper-t and renal failure do go hand in hand
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

We have brought her home for the night. There has only been a slight improvement so she is going back in tomorrow for more fluids. She has level 3 kidney failure (scale of 1 =mild, 4=worst). We are hoping for better news tomorrow but know this may not happen.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Has my cat had a stroke? Now Renal Failure.

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry to hear she's not well, always worrying when they're as old as she is. Sending positive vibes and a gentle fuss to her. xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Im sorry to hear she's so poorly. Renal failure can come on suddenly as a result of a primary infection - I nearly lost my old girl Lily this way, but we managed to haul her back from the brink, but it's a nasty condition. I hope there is more positive news for you soon.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thinking of you and sending all good wishes your way.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I've just started down this road with one of mine who is just 5, keeping everything crossed for Pudding x
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

Pudding is back at the vets all day for more fluids. She has improved but had an uncomfortable night and was very restless. She had a little bit of watered down food from a syringe. She also managed to have a wee. She kept trying to walk around but didn't have enough strength to keep herself up so we had to keep supporting her middle so she could walk about. Unfortunately she won't be able to have any treatment on Sunday so I hope she doesn't deteriorate too much by Monday.
Suze
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Suze »

So sorry to read about Pudding's renal failure. Does your vet have any weekend/overnight cover with any other vets locally? If she is having a crash episode from her renal failure, she'd probably benefit from at least 48 hours (if not longer depending on the vets assessment & daily blood tests) on a continuous fluid drip. Has the vet been monitoring her potassium levels? Low potassium is common in renal failure and can also cause weakness in the back legs. Also cats with renal failure often have excess stomach acid so the vet could give her/you some zantac syrup (ranitadine) for that.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

The vet doesn't have an overnight or Sunday service. They haven't offered or suggested anywhere else.
Tonight she is a little stronger on her legs and not as restless or upset.
They tested for potassium but surprisingly it came back normal. One of the vets thought that it may have been Conn's syndrome because of the sudden and drastic decline but the normal K doesn't suggest this. Which just confuses me more as they have been saying that low K causes muscle weakness. So if it is not low why is she so weak.
I have looked at leaflets about renal failure and she hasn't shown any of the classic signs. The first we knew was the weakness in the back legs which was on the Tues. On Wed she was weak in the front legs and by Thurs she couldn't hold her head up.
I am disappointed that it wasn't picked up on when she went in on Tuesday as she wouldn't have got so bad.

Thank you for the tip about acid we have a ready supply of zantac as we give it to Pudding's sister Tat regularly.

Trying to stay positive that she will improve further and she will have a little more time with us.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Do you live in the UK?
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

Yes in the UK, Middlesbrough......Or for anyone who knows the area or anything about the chemical industry.......
..The place that is currently glowing orange due to the huge flare from olefines cracker!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

British vets have an obligation to provide out of hours cover, most have details on their answerphone if you ring out of hours
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I'm just wondering, is there any way Pudding may have ingested a poison that is affecting her?

Years back I adopted a boy with kidney issues (he had one enlarge and one shrunken) so I knew we were on borrowed time with him. I remember right at the end, the day before I had to say that final good bye, I picked him up and he howled out in pain - his kidney area was so painful for him. He didn't show many other signs of kidney issues other than drinking loads prior to that point. He never had any form of muscle weakness that I noticed.

Fusses to your girl; hope she's doing OK today
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

We have taken Pudding to the out of hours vet. They want £800 for overnight care. She is not insured so we are just leaving her with them for treatment during the day (£450). That way at least she will be a bit more comfortable overnight when she is back with us. The consensus is that she will not recover enough to have a comfortable existence. So We just want her to be reasonably comfortable with us with what will probably be her last night with us.
Attachments
20160304_200516_opt-2.jpg
20160304_200516_opt-2.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

you have done your very best by her - and more - making sure our beloved pets have a peaceful and pain free passing is sometimes all that we can do for them in the end, and I hope very much you achieve this with Pudding, and that your final night with her is all you would want it to be
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

I hope lovely Pudding has a peaceful and tranquil evening with you, Geckodiva.
My thoughts are with you and Pudding. She's a beauty, bless her.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you are doing your very best for her, which is all she can ask of you. Thinking of you and your beautiful girl. xx
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

My poor Pudding didn't make it through the night she was starting to suffer too much so we had her put to sleep.

Devastated.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Geckodiver thinking of you on your loss of Pudding. I lost my Elsa girl a month ago to ckd. She too had gone in back legs & was at stage 3. I had her pts. Hold on to,the fact you gave Pudding your love & support. Others will post kindness & words of support. Hugs to you. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, you gave her 19 fantastic years. RIP little one x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear the news. We lost our darling Tommy to CKD, just after Christmas. I know what you are going through. You did your very best for her. She is at peace now. Tommy and Elsa will keep her company. RIP Pudding, (hugs) to you.

Sue x
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So sorry, God Bless gorgeous Pudding xx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

So sorry, Gecko. My thoughts are with you.
Rest well, brave little Pudding. xxx