Do cats have off days?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Do cats have off days?

Post by emmab »

Our cat has been a little off colour since last night and has been in his basket. I cannot vouch he has been in it all night but was in the same place again this morning. We haven't seen him eat since last night. He is alert to what is going on around him, was purring a little on my lap when I picked him up earlier and his tail was up. He had a little yoghurt from the pot earlier. He is not really sleeping as such and may feel a bit sick as now and then he licks his lips. If he had eaten somehting I would of thought he would of been sick? Also, if he has had a fight he has no bite marks or is sore in any way. Any ideas much appreciated? I am sure our feline friends must get off days too. I am awful and taking cats to the vet and always do is sooner than I should as I am a worrier when it comes to my cats. I am not deeply worried but just not sure.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Do cats have off days?

Post by meriad »

Personally I'd always trust my instinct and rather be safe than sorry.

He may well have been in a fight and may have an abscess brewing somewhere that you can't feel; or as you say eaten something and is now not a happy boy. But if he's still like this later this evening I'd make an appointment for tomorrow.

Do his ears feel warm (warmer than usual) to the touch - that's often an area that indicates raised temperature?
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Does your kitty ever get hairballs? With most cats, a change in behaviour and/or not eating indicates that something is wrong and we would always take them to the vet ASAP. However, one of our cats is long-haired and gets hairballs occasionally. He loves his food so if he looks a bit down and doesn't eat we know he has a hairball brewing. We give him some Katalax which sorts him out quickly. But if any of our other cats stopped eating or were licking their lips we would take them to the vet ASAP.

Hope he's feeling better very soon!
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

P.S. I was typing my post when Meriad posted. I agree with her about better safe than sorry!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I agree with both Meriad and Marla. Tilly sometimes behaves like this when she gets a hairball (in spite of my dosing her with anti- hairball treats) and gets carted of to the vet whenever it happens.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hi All, well I chose to take him to the vet last thing tonight. Like you say "mother's instinct"!!! He has a slight fever and she said it was an infection! Not sure what caused it or why but she said these things happen and gave him the usual jabs and tablets. Can't believe these things happen before we go on holiday...argghhhh! We have a few days yet but if there is any doubt he won't be better the day before I am not going anywhere. Thanks all. I wouldn't of rested easy tonight if I had left him. He did eat a little when we got back but was sick afterwards. At least he seems reasonably happy and has gone out for a long overdue wee I would think :o
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

He may have had a fight and has an abscess developing somewhere that you just can't see or feel. Monty had one like that - all I felt was a small scab but then he scratched it open and .... well suffice it to say; not nice. So off to the vet for antibiotics and a cleaning of wound.

two years ago (I think it was) Monty also quite subdued - quite like your boy - turns out after about 3 vet visits he had tonsillitis! Not something the vet has encountered loads before either and it was just because I knew my cat and knew he wasn't right that we kept on until we found the cause and then the right AB.

Fusses to your boy
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Yes, our old boy developed an abcess on his tail and the same thing. He seems as bright as a button today. He has antibiotics for the next few days so think he will be fine. She seemed confident it wasn't fight and is not washing himself at all as though he is in pain.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

I'm glad he's OK. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well spotted, and I'm glad he seems to be on the mend. :)