My 3 legged cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kerry123
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

My 3 legged cat

Post by Kerry123 »

Hello every 1 I'm new to this so I'm hoping I'm doing this right :D
About 3 wks ago my cat was run over and as a result she sadly had to have her left hind leg and her tail amputated
How thankfully she had recovered well and is already doing most of the things she did before the accident
Altho recently we have noticed she has episodes where it seems she can't use the remaining back leg and as result she either struggles to move and becomes very distressed or she moves in circles going backwards until she regains the use then is able to carry on as normal
I have mentioned it to the vet and thy said there is nothing wrong with her leg but may need to do blood tests to investigate further
I was just wondering if any 1 has got an experience of this and knows what it could be
Any advice welcome
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My 3 legged cat

Post by geckodiva »

Sorry to hear about your girl but glad that she is doing well. I too have a rear left amputee. She had her leg removed at the hip when she was very young, now 2.5 years old. You don't say how old your cat is but one thing maybe troubling her is confusion and frustration if she is still subconsciously still trying to use the missing limb. I know my girl sometimes gets out of step with herself because she wants to lean or turn on the missing leg. She also gets an itchy left ear and if she is laid down you can see her left hip twitching as if she was using the back leg to scratch the itch. My girl still has a full tail and so uses this to help with balance so this would be another disadvantage for your cat.
Kerry123
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kerry123 »

Hi
She as just turned 3 and se also as it removed from her hip
I know wat u mean about the itchy ear as we try to scratch it for her bless
It just seems like her remaining leg goes into spasm or something
It only last a min or 2 but is distressing
I'm worried it's nerve damage after the accident
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

My Mayday when she had her hind leg amputated used to 'flip' until she gained her balance. She too used to try & scratch her ear with the missing leg. She soon gained balance with her tail as a rudder perhaps that's the issue if your darling has lost their tail. Animals cope so much better than us with these set backs. Keep us posted. Special kitties are a treasure! Hugs Vivian
Last edited by Mayday21 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

My Bob is missing a front leg - due to infection. It was never much help to him as it was damaged at birth. But he had a period of adjustment after the OP. He is fine now and zooms around.

I think as others have suggested, that missing a tail might be the problem. I still think your little girl should adjust just fine, but it may take a little longer without a 'rudder'. BTW what is her name?
Kerry123
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kerry123 »

Hi
Her name phoebe
She's a 3 yr old tortoise shell
She's only a little cat in herself,
We're bk at the vets later
Thank you for all ur advice and kind words :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Phoebe's stolen my heart on more than one level: 3-legged, tortie, female & little akin to Mayday. Hope things go well @ vets keep us posted. Vvian
Kerry123
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kerry123 »

Awww thank you thts lovely of you to say, she is such a little character
I tried to post a pic of her but I can't seem too??
Well the vet says she is doin To much and needs time to recovery from her trauma and build up strength and muscle in her back and other leg
Time and rest is her best friend at the min altho not gunna be easy to keep her still much