Fish flavoured food and hyperthyroidism?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Fish flavoured food and hyperthyroidism?

Post by bobbys girl »

I am not sue if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I subscribe to a health website - Dr Mercola and they have a pet section run by a Dr Becker. This mornings post had a feature about the possible links between fish flavoured cat food and Hyperthyroidism. It says that it is the PCB's in fish that is causing the problem and dry food is worse than wet. I hope not, as my lot love their JWB fish flavoured nosh.

I am not sure how to give a direct link to this site, but you can find it through mercola.com I would really appreciate folks views on this.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Fish flavoured food and hyperthyroidism?

Post by meriad »

Here it is: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... pbdes.aspx

As for the fish flavour food, I was always under the impression that there is something in fish that also can result in UTI issues so for years I've been very careful with how much fish food I feed my gang. But this article is quite interesting (and it mentioneds the UTI bit as well)

I obviously am no scientist and would hope that the article is well researched and not scaremongering, but I'd probably be very inclined to start moving your lot onto a different flavour dry food :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for that Ria. I could not post the link before because I was on my OH's 'clockwork' ipad. It is quick to go online, but has a mind of it's own and a tendancy to crash.

Yes, I think they will have to put up with JWB turkey, poor things. :lol: It comes to something when we are advised not to eat too much fish because our seas are so polluted and the fish full of mercury and PCB's.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Surprisingly, I've yet to have a cat with thyroid issues, but like Ria I'm aware of the high magnesium content in fish and so keep Daz's intake of fish products to a minimum because of his urinary problem history.

This just underlines my general feeling that feeding a good variety of foods is the best way forward.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Some weeks ago, while discussing Blackie's diet with the vet, she advised me not to feed him with many fish pouches - and preferably none. After his diagnosis of early stage CKD last March, I subsequently mentioned to her if it was ok to give Blackie Plaque-off in an effort to help keep his teeth clean. Again, she said not because it contains iodine.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, the article said something about that too. I think cat's can't cope with iodine like we do. I don't know, you try your best, then someone throws you a curved ball. Well kids it's shopping day today and you are getting JWB Turkey, you poor hard done to kitties. :D

Still, if you are lucky they will soon start landing mackerel at Creevy pier - can't get much fresher, and I'll fight you for some! A little of what you fancy......?