Paper Based Cat Litter

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Paper Based Cat Litter

Post by Scout Storm »

Hi, I can no longer use the clay based cat litter as one of my cats has been eating so The vet advised me to use a paper based one. ( vet does not know why she is eating it, she has tested her blood, xrays and she is fine. )
Can anyone recommend a good one, the one I bought does not seem very good at contolling the smell.
Thanks.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Paper Based Cat Litter

Post by meriad »

I'm not sure there is a paper based one that won't smell to be honest. Just had a quick google and this came up: http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... At9c8P8HAQ not sure what you're using now?

Alternatively ask your vet about wood based litter and if that would be OK and then look at Cats Best
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I've never got on with the paper-based litter either. I think Meriad's right, ask about the wood-based litter. Good luck. :)
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thanks for your reply Meriad, I will ask the vet tomorrow as Scout has a checkup booked. The petplanet one looks good, I will probably order this once I have cheked with the vet. Thanks again. Anita
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thanks Crewella I will look at the wood-based ones, hopefully I will find a good one, that helps with my 4 cats. They all go out and I have a catflap but still like to use the litter trays when it is too much trouble to go outside or at night when they are locked in.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there - Biocatolet is marvellous for controlling the smell and light to handle too - but my cats won't use it!

It started with the youngest cat rebelling, so I had to give her her own tray of the old clumping heavy stuff, and then the two older ones jumped in with 'Goody! The old nice litter back!' (Sigh!) So I've given in...

A great pity. No use mixing both litters in to begin with as an introduction as one's fine granules and the paper based looks like grey popcorn or dried budgie droppings. It's also very hard to sift out the wet patches but there's an amazing lack of stinkiness. It isn't cheap but I would have happily gone on using it - my only dislike of the stuff is the sickly disney cat cartoon on the bag. Sainsburys sell it - don't know who else. It even claims you can compost it, but you can't flush it down the loo as I'd hoped - BIG blockage...

I don't suppose you live near me (Wakefield) as there are a couple of leftover bags here, going free for a trial lol :)
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Lilith, thank you for your reply and the kind offer of the litter. Unfortunatley I have tried this one and it was not popular. I think I will look at the wood based ones. Thanks again. Anita
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

another alternative is Nature's Calling by Applaws - it's made from the inside of walnut shells and is dark brown,very fine and lightweight - shouldn't think it could do any harm if eaten

I used it for a couple of years and found it disguised smells very well - and I could burn it on my multi-fuel stove - I had to stop using it last October when I had a dark brown floor put down in the kitchen and could no longer spot the scattered bits!
Ruth
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by Ruth »

I use breeder celect for my lot, it's a compressed newspaper pellet with no dust or mess. You can get it from pets at home or alternatively yesterday's news is a paper pellet litter that is readily available online.
The only thing I'd be concerned about with paper litter is it swells and if your cat is a litter nibbler probably not a good idea.
A decent woodchip pellet litter would be your best bet as if it is nibbled it will just turn to dust in the gut and puss can easily pass it out the other end.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

There is cats best which is a wheat based clumping litter, my only issue with it is that it tracks a lot
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thanks for all your replies.

I have ordered some Cats Best OKO plus from zooplus. Hopefully all the cats will like it.

Thanks again.

Anita
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

booktigger wrote:There is cats best which is a wheat based clumping litter, my only issue with it is that it tracks a lot
Just checking - you mean Worlds Best? Cats Best is the one I use and it's wood based ;)

I used this one a few years back - it's sand based: http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... oCe3nw_wcB really good as well but worked out a tad too expensive with (at the time) 5 cats
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Anita, the one thing with the Cats Best (actually any clumping litter) is make sure you put a decent deep layer into the litter tray - about 5cm or so. And then give the litter a bit of time to soak up any wee's. Poo can be removed immediately but wee needs to clump first then it's really easy to clean. But if you do it too soon then it can just fall apart
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thanks Meriad for the advice, I have never used the clumping litter before, so I will make sure I have it deep enough and leave it to soak in.

Thanks again.
Anita :)
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thank you everyone for your advice.
The cats Best litter arrived yesterday. I filled the trays with a deep layer and all the cats seemed to like it as both trays had been used overnight.

It was easy to clean up and no smell. I will definatley be using this one from now on.

Thanks. Anita :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I'm glad they liked it - I've tried various litters and Cats Best is the one I just keep coming back to. And whilst it may seem a bit more expensive to buy it lasts really long.

Hopefully your cat will also decide to not eat it :D Did the vet say anything about using wood based litter?
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

My cat does not seem at all interested in this litter, I mentioned cats best to my vets and she said it would be ok.

I will be keeping my eye on Scout just to make sure she does not start nibbling this litter.

The last munching was an expensive job, plus all the fighting to get her to take the tablets to settle her guts. She is a small cat but once tablets are introduced she turns into a tiger :( .