Chewing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Chewing

Post by Lallum »

I have recently adopted a cat which was going to be put down. She's 3 years old and very healthy. She's a beautiful marmalade and very much a house/ lap cat. Her previous owner said she was a devil cat but I've seen no evidence of bad behaviour until last night. What I had seen was that, unlike any other cats I've had, she doesn't like to sit in boxes. She bites them and chews them. I bought her a cardboard scratching box and she chews it. She has been very dominant to my other two cats. She also managed how to break into the food store and gorged on Magic's food. I've taken all of this as young cat exploring her new environment, will settle down. She can nip if she's not happy with being stroked or doesn't want to play any more.

Last night I was going out so I got dressed and went to put on my Ugg boots. She'd chewed the loops off them. I went into the dressing room to get my new, unworn Ugg boots and she'd chewed the loops off them too! I've warned my daughter that handbag straps and wires must be at risk from Lola and her chewing.i discovered this morning she's chewed the squeaky mice off her new play tunnel.

I've never had a chewer before. Anyone know why this happens or any tips about dealing with it? I'm going to contact Ugg to see if my boots are repairable otherwise I'll have to use Velcro and wear them under trousers!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Chewing

Post by Crewella »

I've had cats that liked to destroy cardboard, but not a chewer like that - your poor Ugg boots!

First line of defence, I guess, is to give her lots of things she CAN chew and hide everything else! I wonder if it might be worth getting her teeth looked at? Hopefully someone with 'chewer' experience will be along to advise. :)