Super picky eater loosing weight - allergy to blame?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Super picky eater loosing weight - allergy to blame?

Post by exlibris »

Twitch is causing me much frustration. She has become extremely picky in what she eats. I keep putting the cat food up a notch and it gets her eating - huzzah! Then after so many days back to her fussy self again. She's not skinny as she is eating a bit, but she is slowly loosing weight. She's also really meowy like she thinks I'm keeping the good stuff from her :(
I can only think it's one for two things: Either she's going slightly senile (she's 15 this May) or her sense of smell is being impaired. By the later I refer to her sneezing and wheezing. The vet said it is an allergy and we should only worry if her discharge was cloudy or an odd colour. What she unhelpfully catapults around the room is clear (why do cats always have to shake their heads when they sneeze? To achieve the maximum coverage of the room and hit my coffee?). If she's got blocked sinuses then she probably can't smell as well and also food might taste different.

I'm inclined to think it's the allergy that is affecting her. As the vet was dismissive of it's seriousness I've had to take this at face value, but it's awful to see her sneezing and wheezing regardless. Is there any techniques that can help an allergic cat, or some medication I can sound my vet out about?

This is the second time I've taken Twitch to the vet about this and it costs me quite a bit to be told there is nothing to worry about. The discharge may not be a worrying colour, but I have asthma and I know how miserable it is to be wheezing all the time and feel unpleasant gunk in your lungs.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Super picky eater loosing weight - allergy to blame?

Post by booktigger »

Personally I'd get a second opinion and do full bloods. There used to be a product called Bisolvon that could help
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I think Booktigger's right and that a second opinion would be helpful. I hope you manage find a way to help her. xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Do you what what she's allergic to? You can have an allergy blood test done that, whilst not as accurate as with dogs apparently, could and should give you an indication. My Harry sneezes loads and pulls his fur and I've figured out that he definitely reacts more when he has foods containing cereals so now all mine are fed cereal free foods. Have you tried ruling out any possible allergens yourself?

But I totally agree with the other two posts about getting a 2nd opinion and doing bloods

in the meantime warming up the wet food in the microwave for 10 seconds often improves the smell, so that may help?

good luck
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Poor puss. I think the advice given is good. I’ve had a few very sneezy elderly cats and Bisolvon is very good for keeping mucus thin so that they aren’t stuffed up. You can just put a pinch of the powder into water and there’s no side effects so if other cats drink it it’s ok. Also raising the bowls so they aren’t spluttering in their food and it’s easier for oldies, and stronger smelling food can help, such as fish. Also try and limit any strong smelling things in the house, e.g. scented candles, perfumes, etc. Also a small drop of Albas Oil can help if placed on a tissue nearby.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

Thanks all! I now have plenty of options. I'm particularly hopeful about the Bisolvon, I will see if my vet will give me a prescription.

Getting a second opinion is awkward - last time I tried that I ended up having to completely move vets! The new vets wouldn't say anything without the notes from the last vet, and the last vet wouldn't give out the notes without a complete transfer! Ultimately I've switched vets by accident! The only difference in quality of advice is I don't feel like I'm being fleeced anymore. Any idea how to get a second opinion without the fuss?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It depends how many vets are at your practice, if there are multiple you could just book an appointment with a different one