Rehoming a cat that is a flue carrier

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
reckneps
New Cat Chatter

Rehoming a cat that is a flue carrier

Post by reckneps »

I have recently reserved a lovely snow bengal kitten from my local RSPCA. Apparently he was living with 60 other kittens in a house and he is a flu carrier. I understand it will carry the flu for life and despite being vaccinated now, it will be able to spread to other cats. So my question is, can I 100% not get any other cats in the future? I understand even if you vaccinate another cat, being in close range means it could possibly get the flu...

Thanks for the help
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rehoming a cat that is a flue carrier

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome,
I don’t know the answer to this unfortunately, hopefully other users will be able to help. However, I have adopted elderly, sneezy cats in the past and been told that they will always be like this and is a s result of having had flu when they were younger. One of the cats I adopted was with another cat, they came from the same home but the other cat wasn’t sneezy. The other cat I adopted when I already had another elderly cat but he never caught it. Maybe there is a chance it could happen, but I don’t know. If you need to know this then probably the best person to ask is your vet.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Rehoming a cat that is a flue carrier

Post by greenkitty »

As long as any other cats are vaccinated, if they do pick up the cat flu, the symptoms will be much less severe. I had a chronic flu carrier who lived with my other 3, one is now a bit sneezy and the other 2 are fine. As long as he is well cared for, stress kept to a minimum and any flare ups are dealt with promptly you should be ok.