How long for the hormones to subside? Bobby is going 'cold turkey'

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

How long for the hormones to subside? Bobby is going 'cold turkey'

Post by Jacks »

I've recently adopted a young 4 year old unneutered male (Bobby) who turned up in the garden as a stray and after the statutory period of searching and advertising no-one came forward and a chip check was negative - so I've adopted him and had him neutered. He undoubtedly landed on us because he'd run off after a mate and I run a 'cat cafe' for cats left out overnight and starving (we have one two doors away from us :-( ) and I can tell the difference now between 'chancer' behaviour and someone who is lost and starving. We already have a good relationship and he loves his 'people'.

I've no outside facilities so had the unenviable pleasure of bring a smelly Tom into the house. He spent 6 days in the safe room (the first the day before he was neutered - once I caught him I wasn't letting him go) and then we've started letting him out. Today is Day 4. He hasn't been in a home for some time I think as he doesn't understand household noises (even the phone sends him running in panic).

Things are not bad (I have 4 females and another male) considering we've only had him 9 days but in the mornings he is going crazy, 'vrowwwwling' and mewling at the windows and doors. I think he's going 'cold turkey'. I've looked on YouTube and his cries sound like a male looking for a mate. He tried to get out up the chimney today and flew back down in panic and up to his safe room. He won't be doing that again!

This yowling and pacing is horrifying my brood, who don't like his smell either. My husband says his wee could knock you dead.

The thing is, how long is this likely to continue, and how long will he be affected by his hormones? He seems to settle down eventually once I put him back in his room for sleepy time in the afternoon (it gives my girls a break) and I put him back in the safe room at night, as the girls find him threatening (again, I think his smell is a problem). The other boy sleeps in the kitchen at night, as he used to be wild and one of my girls is still scared of him (he used to attack her before I trapped him 18 months ago and had him neutered).

My other 5 are all neutered and spayed, of course.

Any experience would be welcomed!
x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: How long for the hormones to subside? Bobby is going 'cold turkey'

Post by booktigger »

It can take up to two weeks for the hormones to settle down. wee wise, using an anti bacterial litter can help with the smell
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Thanks, Booktigger - he keeps weeing in the girl's trays as well as his 'own' - little darling! His choice is just inside the opening in the covered trays (we have a lot of variation in trays :roll: ) Fortunately the litter is ant-bacterial but I have a new one to try in his room :-) We had to use special non-dusty litter for the first few says after the op and it wasn't doing the job very well... :o :o Just have to keep following him around I think. He also pees and poops for England, like tiny Lara. Must be a little black cat thing... :shock:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

From memory a good couple of weeks, perhaps a little bit longer before the smell really goes. I reckon it took Greebo a good month to really settle down after his op and stop thinking like a tomcat!

I'm so pleased you've taken him in, welcome to the family of Cat Chatter's cats, Bobby! :D