Sun cream

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Sun cream

Post by Catfan5 »

The vet suggested using sun cream on our cat when she goes out in the garden as her fur has been shaved/ clippered off. He mentioned Pet Screen can be bought in chemists but I haven't seen any and is out of stock on Amazon. Her fur has just started to grow through now. Does anyone here use sun cream on their cats ears etc in sunny weather and if so what do you use?
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Sun cream

Post by Alice »

When I had an all white cat I used a high factor childrens sun cream on his ears and nose (tho' he licked it off his nose) - he loved to lie in the sun in the garden and he never had a problem with sun damage.

A word of warning - one year I bought a bottle of childrens sun cream for him, but when I opened it and put it on him I found that it was bright turquoise!! After that I checked that the cream was white before buying it.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks Alice, I was wondering whether a children's sun cream would be suitable. That's hilarious re the turquoise colour! It would be on her back and sides as well as nose and ears so it would have to be non toxic as she's bound to lick!
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

I used a little stick about the size of a lipsyl, it's made by e45 brand and is a high factor sun cream for the face, used to use it on my white cats ears and nose.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Is that E45 stick and children's sun cream safe to use? I've been sort of looking into this as Mika has very fine hair in front of his ears and one day after sitting sunbathing all day he looked a bit red.
I've also been trying to get some material to make a big sun shade cover for the cat run as he doesn't have the sense to sit in the shade. Neither does Jess but he is very fluffy.
Actually Jess has lots of white on him too, does he need sun cream? His ears are dark.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

That's a good point Hazel, I'm concerned about using human sun cream in case it 'hurts' her if she ingests it, and she will as it'll be on her body. Manor Pharmacy said they can order Pet Screen in spray form but I would rather it be a cream...
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

I was reading about something that you paint on and it lasts a few days, I can't remember what it Was. It would be no good for Jess though, he would never let us put it on him! Hat ever you use they will lick it off so you need to check it has no nasties in, so many things are poisonous to cats!
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

I'm not sure about the safety of childrens sun cream when used on bigger areas. I was advised to use it by my vet for my white cat's ears and nose, which are obviously the least furry and most vulnerable areas. Your vet could probably advise about it if you can't get the Pet Screen.