Cat Diagnosed with Triaditis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Cat Diagnosed with Triaditis

Post by AndyMac »

Jet is female and will be 12 years in a few weeks. The past few days she started vomiting (brown liquid) but no diarrhea and a few days ago she went off her food. I assumed it was hairballs and took her to the vet yesterday. Blood and urine tests came back negative but Jet had lost 1kg in weight since her last visit in September 2015. The vet was concerned at the weight loss and she seemed dehydrated, also one of her kidneys seemed enlarged. She was given 2 injections - steroid and pain relief and allowed home and I was told if her condition did not improve to bring her back. She was grand last night, ate a pouch of food and drank some water and was in good form.

This morning at 06.30 I heard a thump - Jet was trying to get onto the bed beside me but didn't quite make it. I got up and lifted her into bed and noticed she had done a watery poo in the landing. She just lay on the bed lifeless, heavy breathing and sweating. I took her to the vet at 08.30 and now they reckon Jet may have Triaditis. They have kept her in and given her pain relief and treating her for dehydration. I just phoned the vet who assured me that Jet seems to be stable and is settled. She may have to stay at the surgery until tomorrow.

I have been reading up on Triaditis and understand it is an inflammation of the liver & pancreas - if she does come home she may require a special diet and medication. I have been a blubbering wreck since this morning, crying in the veterinary surgery and the thought of losing her would break my heart. She has been my companion for over 11 years and have not left her overnight unless it was absolutely necessary and left her in the care of my neighbour.

I just hope she does come home as I want to give her a big hug and kiss her wee forehead. Any other forum members have experience of this disease and what treatments and adjustments they have had to make for thier cat.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Diagnosed with Triaditis

Post by Grace56 »

I've never heard of this illness, Andymac, but I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed that Jet will be home with you soon .

Take care

Grace
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Grace. I went to visit her in the Vets - they are keeping her overnight for observation. She has certainly perked up a lot and is definitely brighter and in good form. She ate some food and did a pee which the carer said she had not done all day so hoping she was glad to see me as I was with her.

Hated leaving her but know she will be well looked after - I just hope she will be home tomorrow - the house feels so empty without her presence.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid I have no experience either, but I'm glad to hear she's perked up and wish her better.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks, will definitely miss her sleeping beside me in bed tonight. It will be years since she has not been with me and the house feels so empty and quiet but really hoping she will be home tomorrow.