cat's eye is cloudy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bluersv
New Cat Chatter

cat's eye is cloudy

Post by bluersv »

Hi

A feral/stray has become more and more tame and we have adopted her. She will let you pet her for about 2 seconds but she stays in the house now.

She has something wrong with her eye. Does anyone know what this is?

To get her to the vet would be a military operation but we will try.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/j ... olfuqx.jpg
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat's eye is cloudy

Post by alanc »

Looks similar to the cataract my old cat Misty had. My vet said at the time that operating for cataracts on cats eyes was very difficult (unlike humans) and the chances of success were too low to make it worth doing. This was 18 years ago, so veterinary practice may have improved since then. I would check with the vets whether an operation was worthwhile before trying to catch him.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

First of all, that is a very unusual colour for a stray ie not your usual bog-standard moggie. I wonder if she is lost, or maybe abandoned because of the eye? Just a thought.

Does the eye react to light? Our Purdy got into a fight when she was young and lost most of the sight in one eye. That eye is cloudy and reacts only slowly to a change of light.

She is a lovely cat. I would try and get her to the vets. They can check to see if she has a chip and also have a look at the eye to see if there is an underlying problem that needs fixing.

I would not worry too much about her not seeing well out of one eye - it doesn't slow down Purdy one little bit. She is still a terror to the wildlife and enjoys watching TV. :lol:

Also if she is lost/strayed it is not the end of the world. My sister had a cat come to her in similar circumstances. Turns out he had been given away by his owners (new baby to blame :roll: ) and he didn't like his new home so he left. My sister kept him (and changed his name -it was Elvis!)
Last edited by bobbys girl on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

What a beautiful cat. :)
My Dave was a stray and his left eye is like that as well. It doesn't bother him one jot and he can hunt and do all the usual 'catty' things despite his dodgy eye.
bluersv
New Cat Chatter

Post by bluersv »

thanks all